Since corporal punishment is no longer as acceptable in the modern world, especially not in the West (or at least not in Fiction Land, anyway, as plenty of cultures still practice spanking
), misbehaving children (and occasionally pets
) will be punished by the following:
- Dennis the Menace gets sent to the corner at least twice a week.
- Great Teacher Onizuka: Tomoko got sent to the corner due to a series of events that were not her fault, and her classmates kept throwing paper balls at her.
- This is one of Supernanny's forms of discipline: the naughty step (or corner if you're in a bungalow) where children are supposed to sit for one minute per their age (for instance, a 5-year-old sits there for five minutes) to reflect on their actions. Should they protest or throw a fit, the stay would be extended until they calmed down.
- Calvin And Hobbes: This happens to Calvin in one strip, he's made to sit on a stool and wear a dunce's hat.
- Seven of Nine made the Borg twins do this in one Star Trek: Voyager episode.
- In Summer Heights High, Jonah is sent to the back of the classroom facing away from the rest of the students as punishment. However he still has to do his work there. He gets threatened with being sent out into the hall after he continues to misbehave.
- Also happens in The Simpsons: When they are narrating the history of Lisa's first word, Bart tries to get rid of the baby in many ways, including sending her in the mail, and Homer punishes him this way, even sending Bart to the corner; tough, he is already there.
- This is an odd subversion of the normal situation, which is Homer strangling Bart whenever he does something bad.
- When the Muppet Babies played schoolhouse, Piggy (the teacher) sends Fozzie to the corner for telling jokes, saying that if he wants to tell jokes, he can tell them to the wall. So he does. The wall doesn't like them, either.
- Recess has this happen to the kids a few times, most notably in "The Box"
- This is essentially the trope in play in hockey. Players can be sent to the "penalty box" for a time for rules infractions, resulting in their team having to play with less than the normal number of players for the duration.
- In Stand Still, Stay Silent, this happens to Sigrun. After being ambushed, the rest of the team slips into near-catatonia after the adrenaline wears off. She goes hyper instead, ranting about how AWESOME that fight was, until Team Mom Mikkel steps in and puts her in the corner so she won't frighten the New Meat.