The easy way is always mined.
— from Murphy's Laws of Combat
This occurs when a character is given two choices; one of which sounds much easier, safer or more pleasant than the other. When the "better" option is chosen, it is subsequently revealed that they've actually picked the worse
option without realizing it until it's too late.
Named after a running gag in the film I'm Gonna Git You Sucka
. Damon Wayans and Kadeem Hardison play Evil Minions
who are always being told by other characters that they can leave the building via "the window
or the stairs". Each time, they choose the stairs and each time they get thrown painfully down a long flight of stairs.
For people actually
leaving via the window, see Destination Defenestration
and Super Window Jump
. See also The Easy Way or the Hard Way
. Contrast Sadistic Choice
. When someone is baited
into this folly, it's usually Schmuck Bait
. If the two bad options turn out to be the same, that's Morton's Fork
. In video games, this is related to Path of Most Resistance
- I'm Gonna Git You Sucka, as described above. The trope is subverted at the end of the film when the protagonist says "There's two ways you can leave this place..." at which point Wayans screams and jumps out the window. This prompts one of the heroes to say, "Didn't he know about the elevator?"
- This is part of Jedi philosophy. The Dark Side is the quick and easy path to power, but it will exact a terrible price from you and everyone you care about in the long run. Unless you're okay with that. And I am not okay with that.
Live Action TV
- There is a famous joke where three men have been caught by a tribe of natives and get to choose their sentences. The two options are "Death" and "Nugoba". The first man says "Nugoba", thinking that whatever it is has to be better than death. He is immediately raped by all of the men in the village, then released. The second man chooses the same fate, knowing he will at least live after it is over. The third man, too proud to subject himself to such treatment, chooses death. The chief then says "Death...by Nugoba!".
- In the Doctor Who episode "The Ribos Operation", the Doctor is given a mission by the White Guardian, and told that "nothing" would happen to him if he refused. The Doctor responds, "What? Nothing? You mean nothing will happen to me?", and the Guardian replies "Nothing at all. (pause) Ever."
- In many a 2D Adventure Game and Platform Game, the screen will have a set amount of space it can display. If there are 2 paths to take and one has more Mooks or Spikes, it will be much easier in the long run.
- In Mitra's palace in Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, there are several areas where you have three hallways to choose from. On the floor in front of them, you find a message saying, "Take the long road". The shorter hallways either have a trapdoor that will drop you to the floor below or are lined with damaging floors.
- Episode 3 of The Walking Dead: Season Two ends with your group wandering through a horde of zombies, using the classic zombie disguise. However, some zombies see through it, and one woman in your gets bitten on the hand. You then have two choices; chop the zombies head in two with your hatchet, or chop the woman's arm off. Over 80% of players chopped it off, because they had recently found out that chopping off the infected area just after someone is bitten can stop the infection spreading. Unfortunately, doing so results in said woman Letting out a scream that attracted several zombies which killed her immediately.
- Used straight in a Diceman game comic - In one story if you chose to descend the stairs you'd meet a bunch of demons on the way up and get torn to pieces. The other option involved escaping through the window onto clotheslines.