Say My Name Trailer
A particular type of trailer or advertisement for a show which focuses on little besides the main character and making sure the audience damn well remembers the main character, and by extension, the film's name. Essentially, you take a bunch of unrelated scenes from the production and edit them together to get a Say My Name sequence. This is most common with children's films with a character title name (or at least a character's name in the title). The trailer has, at some point, the various secondary cast members saying the main character's name in quick succession (sometimes, but not usually, including the main character self-identifying). There are ads that can be nothing but this sequence. For instance, the trailer for Bob: The Movie would go something like:
- An [adult swim] promo for InuYasha consisted of clips of the titular character and his Love Interest Kagome saying each other's names.
- Wall E (Granted, being R2-D2 In Love, half the movie itself is Say My Name)
- The Tinkerbell Movie
- Disney's Hercules. Of course, the last clip in this one is Hades saying "Jerkules".
- The Tale of Despereaux
- Ratatouille, complete with pronunciation guide. It's not a character's name, but a food's name said in this one.
- Some advertising spots for How to Train Your Dragon were Say "Dragons" Trailers.
- The Adventures of Tintin.
- Wreck-It Ralph — in this case, just "Ralph" does the trick.
- Harry Potter
- Stuart Little
- Juno (Oscar Bait, oddly enough)
- The trailer for In Bruges includes a brief montage of about half the times the word "Bruges" is used in the film. The film itself can be played as a Drinking Game. Which is good, because by the end of it, you'll really want a drink.
- Charlie Wilson's War
- The Adventures of Pluto Nash
- It was "only" three or four times, but at least one Jonah Hex trailer has this.
- There's Something About Mary
- Tamara Drewe
- It wasn't actually used to promote the movie, but the DVD of The Family Man has an extra called "Hi Jack Montage", which is exactly what you'd think it is.
- Harriet the Spy
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest did this for Captain Jack Sparrow in one TV spot, with most of the characters just using "Jack".
- Imagine the phrase "My name is Domino Harvey" repeated about seventy times and you'll have a pretty good idea of what the Domino trailer is like.
- One TV ad for Mirror, Mirror is a Say "Snow White" Trailer.
- Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
- The teaser trailer to Zero Dark Thirty seems to be a marathon of saying Osama bin Laden's name over and over.
- A few ads for Ugly Betty have done this.
- The TV ads for Chuck
- The Community episode "App Development and Condiments" ends with one of these for an 80's sex comedy starring the character Koogler. (The character wasn't seen outside of the episode.)
- This trailer for the Big Finish Doctor Who special "The Five Companions" introduces all the companions and enemies in a quick back-and-forth Say My Name montage, ending as all the major players name-drop the Doctor and he pretends they've got the wrong guy.
- A variation: one ad for James Bond Jr. featured the following exchange:
Girl (with admiration): James!Villain: BOND!!!James Bond Jr.: Jr.!
- In The Simpsons, episode "Krusty Gets Kancelled", a commercial within the show was with word "Gabbo" said and shown over and over again. No characters were necessary for a no-context advertisement campaign, meant to create interest in the character.
- A trailer for an episode of Star Wars: The Clone Wars had repetitions of "Deathwatch"
- A TV commercial for Batman: The Animated Series had a montage of several villains saying "Batman!" in varying degrees of disgust - followed by the announcer commenting: "See what everyone's talking about."
- A commercial for Maya And Miguel had a montage of Miguel saying "Maya" and his sister Maya saying "Miguel" repeatedly, with the last two parts being Say My Name.
- Dan Vs. has a commercial rapidly cutting between different characters shouting the titular character's name, capped off with:
Dan: "Vengeance, thy name is Dan!!"
- Sofia the First gets one of these.