Sometimes when a character has an Idea Bulb
moment, he may reflect it by holding one hand (usually the left) out and tapping the palm with the other fist.
Often the action is accompanied by a sound effect: a "bop" or a "bing". The Japanese onomatopoeia for the drum is oberobero
. Anime producers often use the sound of a tsuzumi
Compare Idea Bulb
and Beam of Enlightenment
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Here is an example from Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu, the sound effect having been translated "bam". And apparently the onomatopoeia for the drum is oberobero.
- The Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha The Movie 1st Tribute Comics which doubled as advertisements for the four Nanoha manga running at the time of the movie release has Subaru doing this◊ in the Lyrical Almanac section when she was pitching ideas for the StrikerS movie. ("Erio and Caro's Meeting - The First Touch!")
- Seen every now and then in History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi. As shown in the picture, Akisame-sensei takes Kenichi's request for a day off and figures that it's been a while since anyone else has had a vacation anyway.
- Haruhi in the first episode of Ouran High School Host Club when she comes up with a word to describe Tamaki. "I got it...Obnoxious!"
- Naruto occasionally.
- Tomoki does this in one episode of Heaven's Lost Property. The accompanying sound effect dragged on for a few drum beats instead of just one.
- Done sometimes in One Piece.
- Ouran High School Host Club has Haruhi do it in the first chapter/episode when she finally thinks of the word that best describes Tamaki's personality - "obnoxious".
Live Action Television
- Western politicians sometimes do this to drive a point home during their debates. (It's questionable whether they're actually realizing something when they do it — more likely they want to signal to the audience that they should be realizing something because of what the politician just told them.)