"Okay- now push!
PUSH! Keep pushing... and... we're good! Life signs are holding steady. He's going to be fine. Congratulations, Megatron— It's a superwarrior
A sub-trope of Does This Remind You of Anything?
, this is a scene where someone (usually a man
, though cases of Mr. Seahorse
don't count) goes through all the motions of a Screaming Birth
, complete with screams of "you did this to me" and someone on hand to give encouragement being common. But what's really going on is something much more mundane
Occasionally the victim will simply be the Panicky Expectant Father
himself, struggling to get through the agony of his wife
crushing his hand to cope with her own pain.
Anime and Manga
- In The Lion King Fan Fic Pride Lands: Generations, although there is no intercut with the actual birth scene, this trope is implied—the expectant mother begins giving birth, the lionesses are quickly summoned to take her to the birthing den...only to switch to Dhahabu and his elephant friend helping break down the river dam created by the Big Bad, complete with "One, two, three, PUSH!" Then the real birth scene is shown (albeit mostly off-screen and without graphic detail).
- In Evolution, when the doctors have to get the alien insect that cut its way into Harry's body by going in through the colon and pulling it out, and the scene plays out in this way.
- In Blankman, Blankman and his cousin Kevin help a woman trapped in an elevator to give birth. All three are screaming loudly as this happens, though. The woman, for obvious reasons, Kevin, because when he offered his hand to the woman, she grabbed his crotch instead and squeezed as hard as she could, and Blankman because, well... he's a bit of a dork who doesn't really know what's going on.
- In one episode of The IT Crowd, Moss climbs into a crane machine to get an iPhone that was dropped in but gets stuck. Jen manages to use the crane to get the iPhone, but Moss has to try moving to the side to let the iPhone slip through. When it finally gets out Moss exclaims "it's beautiful."
- Friends rather justifiably does this with Joey's passing a kidney stone, and for extra laughs directly juxtaposes it with Phoebe's actual labour in the same hospital.
- Truth in Television in this case. Many women who have given birth and also passed a kidney stone will tell you, the kidney stone is the more painful experience.
- In True Blood, the scene where Jason has to get blood drained from his dangerously engorged penis is staged very much like a scene of a woman in a hospital giving birth.
- In Parks and Recreation, this happens when Ben gets kidney stones. When Leslie and his sister ask what's wrong, he says that he's giving birth.
- In an episode of Star Trek: Enterprise, Dr. Phlox is putting Malcolm through some physical therapy for a leg injury, and it looks a lot like a birth scene, including Dr. Phlox telling Malcolm to push.
- In an episode of Bones, Hodgins is host to a larve in his neck, which eventually needs to come out... screaming, controlled breathing, and all. Earlier in the episode, Wendell even asked if he needed to boil some water. The whole thing played out like a pregnancy.
- In Eve, unplugging Project Eternity involves removing a thick blueish cord connected to her stomach. Swaps abruptly to the other end of the metaphor when the teenage boy realises it's hurting her and, to save her life, thrusts the phallic plug at the end back into her middle...