"Hey, you know what this calls for? A PARTY!"
For whatever reason, there is a party. Whilst a party is normally going to be a fairly festive affair in its own right, sometimes it just needs spicing up - this is where Life of the Party
comes into play.
This character will don lampshades
(no not necessarily that kind
), dance on tables, swing from the chandelier and generally party harder and wilder than anybody else. Sometimes this is done to signify just how awesome a party is, other times it can be to show that the character is immature or is acting inappropriately - say, by drinking excessively at a fancy, upper class tuxedo party and hitting on the mayor's daughter.
Sometimes there's an episode where this character shows up, and the other characters have "grown up", while this character hasn't, in which case they may be introduced as someone's Old Friend
Often this can be the Hard-Drinking Party Girl
, but sometimes it's the quiet one who suddenly leaps out of his or her shell.
Contrast with Lampshade Wearing
, which is just someone killing the party.
Unfortunately, despite our best intentions, trying to be this in Real Life
generally backfires and ends in either humiliation or disdain from peers (or both).
Anime and Manga
- Damon Knight's short story "The Handler" is about an enormous charismatic man who is the Life Of A Party, but is also a puppet controlled by the despised pathetic little man crammed inside his chest.
- Lord Peter Wimsey in the novel Murder Must Advertise.
- A one-shot character in Sex and the City used to be a party girl, and is now married and pregnant. She actually considers her party years her Glory Days.
- Anothernote was the Life of the Party, somewhat gone to seed. She falls out of a skyscraper window midway through the episode...
- Once in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Odo got stuck in an elevator with Lwaxana Troi, and he talks about how he tried to fit in years before, including trying to use his shapeshifting to impress people at parties. He doesn't like parties anymore.
- Fun Bobby from Friends, who wasn't fun anymore once he sobered up.
- Arthur Fonzerelli, even after he jumped the shark.
- Meredith from The Office. Until her hair gets set on fire at the Morrocan Christmas Party.
But now you just don't remember all the things you said
And you're not sure that you want to know
I'll give you one hint, honey:
You sure did put on a show
- Power Gig: Rise of the SixString has the Riffriders: a clan that feels life is a non-stop party and that nothing should break your stride. Their clan home is an abandoned mall they converted into a multi-floor arcade/theme park with live bands playing every night.
- Briar Beauty from Ever After High can turn a freaking study party into a blast and still have everyone pass a notoriously unfair exam. Girl is brilliant, but would rather "Live It Up" more than anything else.
- In Futurama, Slurms McKenzie is the most absolutely pathetic deconstruction of this trope possible. His only escape from partying is death.
- Pinkie Pie from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic will try to be this if it's not a party she set up. If it is one she made, she will try to make it as lively as possible. She even has a party cannon - a cannon that shoots out ready made party supplies.
- Even if, at times, she does things that could kill the party for others who are trying to enjoy themselves - such as making a band play unfitting music for the event, ravenously devouring all the sweets and snacks set out for everyone and leaving nothing for anyone else to eat (going so far as to stuff her face with a plate of cupcakes PRINCESS CELESTIA HERSELF was about to eat right in front of her) and doing things that, while usually funny to watch happen to someone else, would drive you absolutely up a wall or make you incredibly upset if you were there yourself.
- Fridge Brilliance here. Growing up, all of Pinkie's 'friends' were inanimate objects. So she has never learned how to act appropriately in various social situations. Her first exposure to a social gathering was a fun filled party that made every pony there happy, so that is what she always uses.