open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Cowboy Bebop:
"Is this thing [dog whistle] on? I can't hear it.""It's a frequency too high for humans to hear.""[Awkward pause] I knew that. I was testing you."
Live Action TV
- The Supernatural episode "A Very Supernatural Christmas":
Sam: We've seen that wreath before, Dean.
Sam: The Walshes. Yesterday.
Dean: [trying to cover] ...I know... I was just testing you...
- Done in an episode of the original Star Trek. Kirk and Scotty set up a challenge/response password before Kirk beamed down to a planet in order to prevent imposters from getting beamed up. Naturally a shapeshifter takes Kirk's form and tries to get Scotty to beam him up. When he doesn't know the password, he tries to cover it up by saying that he was just testing Scotty. Scotty catches on immediately and concludes that Kirk must be in trouble, since the real Kirk would never "test" him in a situation like that.
- In the WKRP in Cincinnati episode "Put Up or Shut Up," Johnny Fever has a drug flashback. He asks Andy, the station manager, "Do you see anybody over in that corner?" After Andy says no, Johnny says, "Neither do I. Just testing you."
- Doctor Who, "Rise of the Cybermen" - The TARDIS lands in a parallel universe, and Mickey learns that his grandmother is still alive there. He goes to visit her, but is almost immediately grabbed by "his" friends, who tell "Ricky" that he's the one who told them not to put their loved ones in danger. Mickey, understandably confused, uses this line.
- Diff'rent Strokes: When Susie tells Arnold that she reads The Wall Street Journal, Arnold says he likes the comics in it. When she says there are no comics, Arnold says he is just testing her.
- A Dad's Army staple, "Good thinking, Wilson. I was wondering who'd be the first to spot that."
- Played on several levels in Knights of the Old Republic. Bastila asks you a few simple questions about your background. You can answer truthfully or sarcastically. She admits to testing you to see if you were honest and able to treat the Force Bond seriously. What she's really testing is if the brainwashing the Jedi Council did was still sticking.
- In one installment of Dinosaur Comics, God himself asks T-Rex where wind comes from, and defends himself: "UM OF COURSE I KNOW I JUST WANT TO SEE IF YOU DO"
- A variant occurs with kids, usually regarding a rude word or a sexual/bodily function. From South Park:
New York kid: Oh brother, you guys don't even know what "queef" means?
Stan: Of course we know what "queef" means!
New York kid: Yeah? What is it, then?
Kyle: Why? Don't you know?
- Jimmy Neutron episode "Carl Wheezer Boy Genius"
Jimmy: May I suggest that instead of the arm-missiles button, you push the one right below it?
Carl: I know what button to push! I was just testing you.
- In an episode of The Simpsons, Dr Hibbert suggests that Marge could sell one of her children. When she reacts with horror, he says "That was a test. If you had reacted any differently, you'd be in jail now."