: Ooh, since Link
isn't here, can I give Meta Knight an intro? Meta Knight
: A what-? Kirby
: Meta Knight has joined the team! He can carry people to higher areas, also occasionally teaming up with Tails to do so. When Team Luigi takes control, his cape transforms into wings that allow him to fly. His battle ability is being able to don brief invincibility for a short time. Knuckles
: I like mine better. Princess Peach
: Do I even need to mention that I still didn't get one?
RPGs tend to make a big deal
about who is and who isn't part of the player's travelling band of heroes racing to save the world from those evil machinations of the Big Bad
. Expect to see some fanfare (such as a possible music riff) whenever a Chekhov's Gunman
sheds their "NPC
" label and submits to the player's team management; typically with a message announcing how "X joined the party".
Compare Item Get
Common enough that only examples that are played with
should be listed.
open/close all folders
Role Playing Game
- Shadow Hearts series has a Running Gag that Roger Bacon pretends to join your party (complete with 'Naming screen') but never actually does it.
- Chrono Cross's messages are personalized for each character's accent/verbal tic/gimmick. "Marcy, like, joined your party!" "ZOAH JOINED YOUR PARTY." "Greco tagged into your party!" "Razzly joined your party-hee!" "~Doc joined your party, dude!" "Grobyc-joined-your-party."
- In Star Ocean: The Second Story, if you refuse to help Ashton out after putting him into his unfortunate predicament, then return to him immediately after the party expresses some guilt over ditching him, he'll chew them out and force himself into the party with an appropriate notice.
- Whenever a team member joins the party in Super Mario RPG, Mario spins around and makes a V Sign, in addition to a short musical ditty. The actual text varies depending on who joined and how; for example, since Bowser refuses to admit that he's joining Mario's cause and claims he's only letting Mario join his Koopa army, the game announces "Mario and his friends have joined the Koopa Troop! (or so they're pretending) Bowser joins the group..."
- In the first Paper Mario after you reach the top floor of Boo Mansion, Bow joins your party, as the text box notes, "like it or not!"
- In Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, after you beat Doopliss (for the second time) in Chapter 4, Vivian is said by a text box to have "really joined your party now!" Also, in Chapter 5, when Flavio accompanies Mario to the entrance to the Pirate's Grotto, a message appears stating that "Flavio will join you for a short time" even though he only follows Mario around and does not act as a partner. Most of the other tag-along characters join without a message of that sort.
- Skies of Arcadia announces that "Drachma joined your party... again" after said character rejoins for good after dropping in and out of the party several times in a short timeframe. Much later, one crewmember brings with him a twist on the "X joined your crew as a Y" message: "Pow joined your crew as a Jester... of sorts."
- In Final Fantasy IV, a minor NPC joins your party at one point even though it's full. But before you regain controls he already turns out to be a monster in disguise.
- Dragon Quest VIII has the characters do a little pirouette and bow to cutesy music when they join your party.
- In Persona 4 if you return to a dungeon (that happens to be built entirely as a homage to 8 and 16 bit jRPGs) at one point and add Yosuke to your party he will comment "Yosuke joined your party! ... or something like that, right?"
- When someone joins your party in Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas, a pop-up message appears telling you so. This was absent in the first two games of the series, when potential companions would just start following you after their recruiting conditions were met.
- In Knights of the Old Republic, one character who will later join your party has some rather awkward lines about how if you help him and allow him to "join with you" he'll help you out.
- You get this with eggs and in game gifts in Pokémon games. "*player* received the Egg from the day care man!"."*Player* recieved *Pokemon!*". Played mostly straight in Ilex Forest in the Gen II remakes during the Pichu event and the Gen V Zorua event.
- Disgaea has at least two people who join your party without your consent, and a few more who are actually enslaved by Laharlnote .
- Disgaea 2 plays with this for most of the main characters, to whit:
[Rozalin] is bound to you by the terms of the ritual.
Deeply swayed by Adell's manliness and cologne, [Yukimaru] joined the group.
Beauty Queen [Etna] is stalking Adell.
Under the condition of three square meals a day, [Overlord Laharl] has joined the group.
- Disgaea 3 continues to play with this for its downloadable characters:
was enrolled as a student while still unconscious.
Mao has received the most badass Notebook
- At one point early in the game you get the message "Raspberyl ended up traveling with you" however she doesn't officially join your party till later.
- And in Disgaea 4:
Warden Axel was forced to join your party, but he's so weak and useless that he won't fight in the battles.
Non-video game examples:
- In Scott Pilgrim, of course. On the first pages of the fifth volume, Scott and his friends are at Julie's new apartment's Day of the Dead party. Scott and Ramona encounter her fifth and sixth exes, the Katayanagi twins, experts on robots and technology. When they challenge Scott to a fight, a robot goes inside and, just... joins the party.
- Which happens in the video game as well. "Robot-01 joined the party!"
- Noob has it from time to time due to being set in a MMORPG and the main group having a Honorary True Companion.