open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- In Higurashi: When They Cry, advanced stages of the Hate Plague infection manifest themselves in the infected clawing at their own skin, particularly the throat. In Onikakushihen, Keiichi kills himself by clawing at his throat after killing Mion and Rena. In Tsumihoroboshi, Rena starts to scratch at her own throat but Keiichi manages to stop her from killing herself.
- Played for laughs in the anime adaptation of CLANNAD, where, during a teasing session between Akio and Tomoya regarding the fact that they're now in-laws, both of them jokingly mimic the action as an expression of extreme disgust.
- In Big Finish Doctor Who play "The Shadow of the Scourge", the eight-dimensional alien invaders have a voice that will compel humans to do anything, however suicidal. And the Scourge like to kill.
"Now put your fingers to your neck. And push..."
- In Mother Hitton's Littul Kittons the terminal madness the titular planetary defense system induces in intruders makes this the least you do to yourself.
- In A Storm of Swords, this is how Joffrey Baratheon meets his end when the character drinks poison that prevents them from breathing. In a desperate attempt to breathe, the character claws at their own neck. It just kills them faster.
- Robert Sheckley's story "The Humours", later expanded into the novel The Alchemical Marriage of Alistair Crompton, has the protagonist try this upon realizing that the recovered portions of his personality don't integrate into his own - rather, all of them together reintegrate into something new.