The Union Forever
, by MacGregor, is an Alternate History
timeline on AlternateHistory.com
. The Point Of Divergence
is an alternate Peninsular Campaign during The American Civil War
, in which George McClellan
experiences an accident which paralyzes him from the waist down. He is replaced by Edwin Sumner, who subsequently defeats Robert E Lee, and forces an earlier end to the war. the Butterfly Effect
is handled very creatively, which includes a smoother reconstruction, Lincoln dying a natural death, Napoleon III being succeeded by his son, and countless other events. As of April 2014, the timeline is currently in 1976.
Historical characters who appear or are referenced in the timeline:
- Abraham Lincoln: Wins reelection in 1864, and completes his second term without being assassinated. His plan for Reconstruction, called in this TL Reconciliation. He dies in 1887 in retirement.
- George Armstrong Custer: Fights in the Civil War and fights the Spanish in Cuba in 1877-78. Becomes Governor of Ohio in 1892. Becomes President in 1896. Is defeated by Robert Todd Lincoln in 1900. Dies in 1905 in retirement.
Tropes that appear on this page include:
- Alternate History
- Balkanize Me: China and India get parts of them cut off. India is working to rectify that.
- Different World, Different Movies: Different music as well. American music in general has a greater Caribbean/Latin influence, and the local rock-and-roll equivalent has elements of OTL's swing, particularly the addition of brass instruments.
- Expanded States of America: Including Caribbean states and Panama.
- For Want of a Nail: A sliver of metal was in the road McClellan was travelling on. Apparently he didn't see it and his horse stepped on it, causing it to rear back. McClellan fell off and landed on a nearby fence in such a way as to cause paralysis.
- Historical-Domain Character: Just about anyone who already existed before the divergence point will, as noted below, have a counterpart in this timeline, though their role in history may be subtly or even completely different.
- Non-Nazi Swastika: No Nazis, so the swastika remains a positive symbol.
- Our Presidents Are Different: Among others, Abraham Lincoln's son, Robert Todd Lincoln, eventually becomes President himself—this world's Lincoln Memorial enshrines both.
- Richard Nixon the Used Car Salesman: This timeline has numerous examples of this, as just about anyone both before the divergence point still exists in this one, though their impact on history may be subtly—or even completely—different. As an example, this world's version of William Howard Taft founds this world's version of the Boy Scouts.
- Scout Out: As noted above, this world's equivalent of the Scouting movement is founded by an American rather than the British Baden-Powell.
- Sliding Scaleof Alternate History Plausibility: A soft Type I, mainly because Coca Cola still exists in this world, despite the fact that the Po D (1862) occurs before the drink's creation (1886).