Literature: The Tale Of The Pie And The Patty Pan
Ribby (a cat) invites her friend Duchess (a dog) over for a party, promising to bake a delicious meat pie. Worried that Ribby's pie will turn out to be made of mouse-meat, Duchess notices that she and Ribby have identical pie-plates, so she devises a plan: while Ribby is out shopping for party supplies, Duchess will sneak into her house, take the mouse pie out of the oven, and replace it with a ham pie that Duchess herself made. She'll hide the mouse pie somewhere, and Ribby will be none the wiser. What could possibly go wrong?
This story provides examples of:
- An Aesop: If you don't like your friend's mouse-meat pies, you should just tell her instead of concocting a Zany Scheme that will result in you looking like an idiot.
- Animal Jingoism: Briefly mentioned when Ribby's cousin expresses disdain at the idea of Ribby being friends with a dog.
- The Cameo: Ribby's snobby cousin is Tabitha Twitchit.
- Dramatic Irony: The whole story runs on it, due to the characters thinking their two different pies are the same pie.
- The Hyena: Dr. Maggotty laughs a lot. "Ha HA!"
- I Ate WHAT?: Twice: First Duchess freaks out when she thinks she's swallowed a patty-pan; then she realizes that she's eaten a whole pie made of mouse-meat.
- The Unintelligible: Dr. Maggotty only says the words "spinach" and "gammon."
- Zany Scheme: Duchess's pie-swapping plan.