Literature: The Story Of My New House
My name is Jonathan. Iīm seven years old and I live with my mom and my dad.The Story of My New HouseNote is a Web Original Fiction which narrates a typical horror story about a Haunted House, but telling it from the perspective of a little child named Jonathan, who moves along with his parents to a new house during summer, describing the events with very short texts and colorful drawings. While the story starts in a completely innocent and lighthearted manner (Despite some little hints that imply that not everything is so nice as it seems ), consisting in mere anechdotes from everyday life as the plot advances, things turn incredibly dark, and those colorful drawings slowly become something much more sinister.
This Web Original Fiction provides the following tropes:
- Art-Style Dissonance: See Nightmare Fuel Coloring Book below.
- The Bad Guy Wins: Happens in the bad ending.
- Bitter Sweet Ending: The "good" ending:Jonathan's father is possesed by the demonic force living in the house, but he resists its control and saves his son and wife, before dying. The story concludes with Jonathan mourning the death of his father and expressing how much he still loves him.
- Break the Cutie:Happens to Jonathan once things start turning horrifying
- Cheerful Child:Jonathan, the main character of the story. His innocent behavior makes a sharp contrast with the dark elements of the plot.
- Children Are Innocent
- Covers Always Lie: The cover◊ doesnīt look at all as something from a horror story.
- Demonic Possession:Happens to Jonathan's father in both endings. In the good ending he resist the demonic possession and saves his son and wife, while in the bad ending kills them.
- Downer Ending: the bad ending:Jonathan's father is possessed by the demonic force living in the house and murders his wife and son.
- Fore Shadowing:In the seventh page, Jonathan mentions seeing a kid in one of the windows of his new house...
- Genre Shift:Starts like a Slice of Life story told by a little kid before the horror elements of the plot become more and more evident.
- Haunted House:The new house of the title. Jonathan and his parents donīt realize this (despite all the hints) until is too late.
- Heroic Will Power: In the good ending,Jonathan's father resist his demonic possession and saves his wife and son.
- Infant Immortality: Near the ending of the story is finally revealed that the ghost from the new house were some children violently murdered in what seemed to be some kind of satanic ritual. Also, This happens to Jonathan in the bad ending.
- Kill the Cutie: Happens to Jonathan, who is murdered by his own father in the bad ending.
- Multiple Endings:Has two endings, a "good" one and a "bad" one.
- Nightmare Fuel Coloring Book: Invoked, in order to create a contrast between the sinister plot and the childish manner it is told.
- No Name Given:Jonathan's parents are never referred in the story by their names. They are just called "mom" and "dad".
- Stylistic Suck: Besides of the crude drawings, the texts are written in a very simplistic and childish manner (sometimes containing a couple of grammar mistakes) in order to give the impression it was written by a kid.