Literature / The Ghost (2010)
is a 2010 novel series written by George Mann. There are two novels titled Ghosts of Manhattan
and Ghosts of War
This is an ongoing series of noir mystery novels set in an alternate, steampunk-inspired 1920s New York and featuring the adventures of socialite Gabriel Cross and his hard-bitten vigilante alter ego, the Ghost. America is in the midst of a cold war with a British Empire that has only just buried Queen Victoria, her life artificially preserved to the age of 107. Coal-powered cars roar along roads thick with pedestrians, biplanes take off from standing with primitive rocket boosters, and monsters lurk behind closed doors and around every corner.
There have been targeted murders occurring in New York, with victims found with ancient Roman coins placed on their eyelids after death. An Italian-American group of gangsters and their boss, dubbed "The Roman", appear to be responsible for the murders. However, The Ghost soon discovers that there is more to The Roman than it appears, in the supernatural sense.
This book series provides examples of:
- Alternate Universe: The series takes place in a 1920s New York where a number of details are played out quite differently, such as America having a cold war with the British Empire.
- Calling Card: The Roman places ancient Roman coins on his victim's eyelids.
- Two-Fisted Tales: The Ghost is very much in the pulp tradition of The Shadow and The Spider.
- Steam Punk: This series takes place in a 1920s New York that uses steam powered devices.
- The Verse: Apparently set in the same world as Affinity Bridge and sequels, just two decades or so later.