Literature / Home
is a 2012 novel by Toni Morrison
. It is the tale of two siblings Frank Money, a veteran of the Korean War, and his younger sister, Ycindra, called Cee. After receiving an omnious note stating that her sister would 'be dead' if he doesn't come back to his hometown of Lotus, Georgia, Frank escapes from the hospital where he has woken up, and journeys North to South dealing with Jim Crow and his own demons along the way.
Should not be confused with the Video Game Home
, the Revolution
", the movie Home
, or the book
that movie was based on, which was not called Home
This work includes examples of:
- Barefoot Poverty: Frank's lack of shoes is a major plot point.
- Big Brother Instinct: Frank has always protected his little sister. There's a dark side though. Because Frank has always protected her, Cee didn't gain the strength to thrive on her own
- Grumpy Old Woman: Lenore.
- The Homeward Journey: Frank's journey back to Lotus.
- Karma Houdini: Dr. Beauregard is never heard from again after Frank rescues Cee from his experiments.
- Though given the time period, it's not as if anyone would have carried out charges against them.
- Mad Doctor: Cee's employer has been experimenting with eugenics by sterilizing his staff.
- Sanity Slippage: At the beginning of the book, Frank is at the end point of one having being committed to a mental ward. As Frank goes closer and closer to home he becomes much more stable
- War Is Hell: Frank's view of the Korean War - his best friends die, children are shot while searching for food...
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: Cee is told this by a group of wise quilting women after she is rescued by her brother from the medical experimentation of Dr. Beauregard.