Film: Wonder Boys
Wonder Boys is a 2000 film written by Steve Kloves and directed by Curtis Hanson. Based on the novel by Michael Chabon, it revolves around Pittsburgh college professor/novelist Grady Tripp (Michael Douglas) who, over the course of a weekend, has to handle a troubled student (Tobey Maguire), his unfinished novel (also called Wonder Boys), his pregnant girlfriend (the chancellor of the college and his boss' wife), a purloined jacket and a dead dog.Wonder Boys also stars Katie Holmes, Robert Downey, Jr. and Frances McDormand. It was nominated for three Academy Awards and earned Bob Dylan a Best Original Song Oscar for "Things Have Changed."
This movie contains examples of:
- Bi the Way: Terry Crabtree.James: So your friend Crabtree, is he... Is he gay?Grady: Most of the time he is, James. Sometimes he isn't.
- Consummate Liar: James Leer.
- Doorstopper: Grady's 2000+ page book.James: Is... all of that single space?
- Erudite Stoner: Grady.
- Evil-Detecting Dog: Sara's husband is clueless about her affair with Grady. His blind(!) dog, Poe, on the other hand...
- MacGuffin: Marilyn Monroe's jacket.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Vernon Hardapple.
- Parental Abandonment: James tells Grady his parents are dead and he's being raised by his grandparents.Or not.
- Shoot the Dog: Literally. Poe had it coming, though.
- Sleeping Dummy: Poe finally comes in handy.
- Thinking Out Loud: James narrates as he's carried out of an auditorium.James: The doors made so much noise!Grady: Is he all right?James: It was so embarrassing! He had to be carried out.Terry: He's fine. He's narrating.James: They were going to the restroom. But would they make it in time?
- Teacher/Student Romance: Hannah Green wants to start one with Grady. He's tempted.
- Tough Act to Follow: In-Universe. Grady's previous book The Arsonist's Daughter.
- Trophy Room: Walter's sports memorabilia closet.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Miss Antonia Sloviak.
- World of Snark
- Writer's Block: Subverted. Grady can't stop writing.
- Your Cheating Heart: Grady's had a long-standing affair with Sara. James implies he's the product of an affair between his mother and his paternal grandfather. Or not.