The Rocker is a 2008 comedy starring Rainn Wilson
as "Robert 'Fish' Fishman" the drummer for the band Vesuvius. However, when Vesuvius betrays him for a chance to hit the big time, he swears to become bigger than they've ever been...
Twenty years later, his life is down the drain, he's living with his sister, and drumming brings him pain. But when he gets one last chance to live the dream, will he become a rock star, or will he finally be forced to grow up?
This Film provides examples of the following Tropes:
- All Drummers Are Animals: Fish, very much so. Sticks, not so much.
- As Himself: Pete Best
- Berserk Button: Vesuvius is Fish's.
- British Rock Star: All of Vesuvius act like this post-fame, complete with fake British accents. Their new drummer Sticks actually is British, though.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Both the guy from the record label in the beginning, and the one who signs them later on.
- Dawson Casting: Matt, Curtis, and Amelia fall into this. Although Curtis and Amelia's actors, Teddy Geiger and Emma Stone were less than two years out of high school at the time. Matt, on the other hand fits the trope to a T with his actor, Josh Gad being in his twenties at the time.
- Fan Disservice: Fish as The Naked Drummer.
- Groin Attack: When Fish throws the TV out the window.
- Improbable Weapon User: After being fired from the band, Fish uses his drumsticks to attack their fleeing van.
- Memetic Mutation: In-Universe example. The Naked Drummer video goes viral, which causes their song to become a hit, and them to get signed for a record deal.
- Naked People Are Funny
- Outside Ride: Fish atop Vesuvius' van while they try to escape his wrath.
- The Pete Best: Fish. The Trope Namer Also Has A Cameo.
- The Stoic: Amelia never smiles. Except at the end, of course.
- Take That: When Vesuvius gets caught lip syncing in concert
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: Fish pukes in his hand out of nervousness when he's about to play the drums for the first time in twenty years.