What can we say about The Heart is Deceitful Above All Things? Well, Cole and Dylan Sprouse play Jeremiah, a boy who is taken from his foster parents to live with his drug-addicted, prostitute mother Sarah and along the way has sex with Marilyn Manson, gets raped and molested several times, and at one point becomes a Christian!. A very squicky film to say the least.
- Abusive Parents: Sarah, although she would have won a mother of the year award compared to the book.
- Sarah's parents were also abusive to her.
- An Aesop: Some foster parents are more caring than biological ones.
- From a Certain Point of View: Meta example. The film is based on an autobiographical novel by teenaged author JT LeRoy. Except that LeRoy turned out to be thirtysomething female Laura Albert.
- Literary Allusion Title: Comes from the Book of Jeremiah 17:9 (KJV):"The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked; who can know it?"
- Mood Whiplash: Sarah. One minute she loves Jeremiah, the next she hates him.
- Nightmare Sequence: Several, usually featuring massive, clawing red birds.