The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes was a 1969 comedy film released by Walt Disney Productions. It is the first of a trilogy of films starring Kurt Russell as Dexter Riley, a college student at Medfield College, which was seen previously in The Absent-Minded Professor and its sequel Son Of Flubber. The film was remade in 1995, with Kirk Cameron as Dexter Riley.While installing a replacement computer part during a thunderstorm, Riley is zapped and becomes a human computer. He now has superhuman mathematical talent, can read and remember the contents of an encyclopedia volume in a few minutes, and speak a language fluently after reading one textbook. His new abilities make Riley a worldwide celebrity, and Medfield's best chance to win a televised quiz tournament with a $100,000 prize.The success of this film spawned two sequels: Now You See Him, Now You Don't in 1972 and The Strongest Man in the World in 1975.
This movie contains the following examples of:
- Accidental Misnaming: After Dexter and his friends consult with A.J. Arno about the computer, Arno briefly mispronounces Dexter's name as Lester, prompting Dexter to correct him.
- Card-Carrying Villain: A.J. Arno
- Conspiracy Theorist: In the 1995 remake, Dexter's best friend was a stereotypical college-age radical who, in a parody of Kennedy assassination conspiracy theories, believed that President William McKinley was actually killed by his vice president, Theodore Roosevelt.
- Cool Teacher: Professor Quigley
- Dean Bitterman: Dean Higgins
- The Dragon: Chillie Walsh to Arno.
- Gilligan Cut: When Professor Quigley is telling Dexter to study for the test, Dexter answers that he'll remember every answer. Cut to Dexter in his car struggling to remember every answer.
- Gone Horribly Right: After receiving the electric shock when replacing a part in the computer during a thunderstorm, Dexter is able to think like a computer, which gives him an advantage in just about every scientific field.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Dean Collingsgood tries to pull this off when Higgins catches him at the restaurant, which causes Collingsgood to tell Higgins that he's at the wrong place and that there's supposed to be a dinner party in his honor. Higgins sees right through him, however.
- The Rival: Dean Collingsgood to Dean Higgins.