Film: The Strongest Man in the World
The Strongest Man in the World
is a 1975 comedy film created by Walt Disney Productions, and the third and final film in the Dexter Reilly trilogy, following 1969's The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes
and 1972's Now You See Him, Now You Don't
Dean Higgins is faced with financial problems at Medfield College again, because the Board of Regents is preparing to fire him, due to severe budget costs in the school's science lab. Dean Higgins then discovers that the reason for these financial costs is because Dexter Reilly and the rest of the science students have rented a cow to experiment different vitamin formulas to make the cow fat. Because of this, Dean Higgins fires Professor Quigley (again), but when he leaves in a huff, the force from when he slams the door causes the mixture that Dexter was working on to fall into a bowl of cereal that Schuyler was using as part of his own vitamin formula. When the cow eats some of the cereal, this causes the cow to become strong enough to give over 80 gallons of milk.
The next morning, when it's time for Dexter and the others to get ready for school, Dexter eats some of Schuyler's cereal, which in turn also causes him to become strong enough to tear out doorknobs, bend over lampposts, and destroy the basketball hoop when he makes a slam dunk. When Dexter demonstrates this to Dean Higgins, by lifting up Elmer, an overweight student, in one hand, and Schuyler in the other, Dean Higgins then makes a trip to the Crumply Crunch cereal company where he demonstrates the powers of the strength formula in the cereal to Harriet Crumply, the head of the company. Mrs. Crumply is so impressed by this demonstration that she is willing to challenge the rival Krinkle Krunch cereal company to a weight-lifting competition.
However, it appears that there is a mole for the Krinkle Krunch company, Harry, who later informs the Krinkle Krunch president, Kerwood Krinkle, about this demonstration. Harry then hires Dexter's old foe, A.J. Arno, and his chauffeur Cookie, who have been recently released from jail again in order to steal the formula from the school to put in the Krinkle Krunch cereal. However, when Arno and Cookie come back to the school, they are completely in the dark of where the formula is hidden and which formula it is that they're looking for. Because of this, they are forced to flee when they inadvertently attract the attention of a group of security guards that were guarding the hallways of the school.
The next morning, Harry then has Arno and Cookie kidnap the one responsible for creating the formula, so they kidnap Schuyler while he was out looking for his dog, Brutus, believing Schuyler to be the one who made the strength formula. They then take him to a Chinese restaurant where Ah Fong, a Chinese accomplice of A.J. Arno, uses Chinese torture methods and hypnotism to hypnotize Schuyler into revealing the ingredients of the formula. Once that is over, Schuyler is then told to leave, but when he steals the police chief's police car, he is arrested, but bailed out on the day of the weight-lifting competition.
However, when the two teams eat their cereal, it is then discovered that it is not Schuyler's vitamin formula that provided the super strength at all, but rather, Dexter's strength formula that did it when it got mixed in with Schuyler's cereal. Dexter then rushes back to the college to retrieve his formula, but not without running into A.J. Arno, Cookie, and a few of Arno's flunkies, as well as Harry. Fortunately, thanks to the super strength formula, Dexter is able to make quick work of the baddies. He then pours some of the strength formula into Dean Higgins' car's gas tank, in order to return to the competition in time for the final round.
Medfield is losing badly to State, until Dexter returns and uses the last of the strength formula to give him the strength needed to lift the 1111 lb. weight that has been assigned to him. Dexter is able to lift the weight with ease, which gives victory to Medfield College, Dean Higgins and Professor Quigley keep their jobs, and Crumply Crunch is now the #1 cereal.
Tropes found in The Strongest Man In The World:
- The Alleged Car: Dean Higgins' car, to the point that in the climax, Dexter powers it up by using his strength formula in order to return to the weight-lifting competition.
- Animated Credits Opening: The opening credits for the film shows a montage of a young boy with Herculean strength performing different feats of strength.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: When Schuyler is captured by Arno and Cookie in an attempt to get him to tell them what he put in his formula, Ah Fong, an accomplice of Arno, uses Chinese techniques to get Schuyler to reveal the ingredients, which are, thymine, calcium pentothenate, niacin, pyrodoxine, pyridoxamine, and a slice of pizza.
- Balloonacy: Happens to Police Chief Blair when he accidentally runs into a balloon man's balloons while riding on the motorcycle of one of his policemen.
- Big Eater: Elmer, the student who Dean Higgins reprimands for eating in class.
- Brick Joke: After (supposedly) getting the ingredients for the strength formula from Schuyler, Mr. Krinkle puts this to the test by karate chopping the table, only to break his hand. This occurs again at the very end of the film.
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: Henry Fathington, who was a central character in the first two films, does not appear in the film, and nor does Dean Higgins' rival, Dean Collingsgood.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Kerwood Krinkle, the president of the Krinkle Krunch cereal company.
- Demoted to Dragon: A.J. Arno, who was previously the Big Bad of the first two films, is now The Dragon to Harry, though in this case, Arno is more of a Dragon-in-Chief.
- Dropped Glasses: Happens to Dean Higgins for a few seconds when trying to clean his glasses when they get fogged up after he eats some of the strength formula-laced cereal during his demonstration to the board at the Crumply Crunch company.
- Everything's Better with Cows: Ruthy-Bell, though only at the beginning of the film.
- Exact Words: After Arno and Cookie are given the assignment to steal the strength formula from the college, Arno tries to assure Cookie by telling him "You do the leading and I'll do the following". He later regrets this decision after he and Cookie attempt to pull of the heist.
- Fingertip Drug Analysis: Dexter does this after finding the vial containing his strength formula at the science lab, which is needed to win the weight-lifting competition between Medfield and State. He is able to identify it by its distinctive acid taste.
- Honest Corporate Executive: Harriet Crumply, as a female example of the trope.
- Impact Silhouette: Arno and Cookie land on the pavement of the sidewalk after falling off the scaffolding when they try to escape, and when the security guards come to the window, they only see the impressions of the two crooks in the sidewalk.
- Ironic Name: Brutus, Schuyler's dog, who is actually a cute fuzzy little dog who lacks courage.
- Malicious Misnaming: Mr. Krinkle calls Dean Higgins "Wiggins" when taunting him about the weight-lifting competition.
- The Mole: Harry, an employee at the Crumply Crunch company, turns out to be this for the Krinkle Krunch company.
- Pintsized Powerhouse: Brutus, Schuyler's dog, becomes one after eating the leftover cereal that Dexter had started out on, which causes him to start chasing after Blossom, the Doberman who had been bullying him.
- Police Are Useless: The policewoman who Dean Higgins tries calling on the phone to report the kidnapping of Richard Schuyler insists that a boy being kidnapped while out looking for his dog is not unusual.
- Stock Scream: When Arno and Cookie are trying to escape from the school science lab after being discovered by the security guards and they end up falling off the scaffolding, the infamous Goofy holler can be heard as they're falling.
- Super Strength: Enough said.
- Title Drop: "Dexter Reilly's the strongest man in the world!"
- Watch the Paint Job: Dean Higgins is highly protective of his car, and he becomes very worried when it gets destroyed after Dexter drives it back to the competition after giving it some of his strength formula to power it up.
- World's Strongest Man: Dexter inadvertently becomes this after eating Schuyler's cereal, in which Dexter's formula landed in.