- Show me your world
Sightseers is a British black comedy directed by Ben Wheatley, and written by and starring Alice Lowe and Steve Oram.
Downtrodden thirtysomething Tina gets out from under her mother's thumb for long enough to go on a caravan holiday with her new boyfriend Chris. Tina soon finds out that Chris is a killer, but she doesn't find this off-puttting - she finds it inspiring.
Tropes appearing in this film:
- Advertising by Association: It's "From the makers of Hot Fuzz, Paul & Shaun of the Dead". Of course, Wright only produced this film, not wrote and directed it.
- Berserk Button: Chris has several. Starting with littering.
- "Tainted Love" by Soft Cell plays when Chris and Tina are driving away from Tina's mother's house. "Tainted Love" by Gloria Jones plays over the end credits.
- Chris murders by running over his first victim, pushing his second off a cliff, and the head of the third on a rock. When Tina commits her murders, she pushes her first victim to their death, runs over her second, and pushes her third down a steep, craggy valley.
- Crowning Moment of Funny: "This is not my vagina!"
- Face of an Angel, Mind of a Demon: Tina looks harmless enough, but she turns out to be even more callous than Chris.
- Good People Have Good Sex: Averted. Chris and Tina are not good people, but they still have good (or at least vigorous and enthusiastic) sex.
- It's All About Me: after running over and killing a man in a museum car park, Chris complains that "it's ruined the museum for me."
- Karma Houdini: Chris and Tina are very happy at the end of the film, and they aren't in much danger of being caught by the police.
- Make It Look Like an Accident: most of the murders are taken for accidents, at least at first.
- My Beloved Smother: in one scene we see Tina's mother Carol lying in a heap at the foot of the stairs, presssing her panic button pendant. When Tina doesn't pick up the call, Carol gets up.
- Outlaw Couple
- Scenery Gorn: the Cumbrian mountains look very bleak when it's raining.
- Scenery Porn: the Settle railway viaduct looks lovely in the sunshine.
- Suicide Pact: they decide to go out on a high by jumping from the railway bridge. But one of them doesn't jump.
- Suspect Is Hatless: After one of the murders, we hear on the car radio that the police are looking for "a ginger-faced man and an angry woman."
- Textile Work Is Feminine: Tina knits. We find out that she has been knitting herself a bra and crotchless knickers.