Film: Santo Contra Capulina
Santo versus Capulina is a 1968 movie featuring a team-up between two of Mexico's top movie stars of the time, masked wrestler El Santo and comedian Gaspar Henaine Pérez (Capulina). It's mainly a comedy, but contains a fair amount of action as well.In this film, Capulina, a childlike fat man, works as a night watchman on a warehouse, tough he literally sleeps on the job. Unknown to him, the place is being used by a gang of criminals called Los Infernales to smuggle diamonds. However El Santo is working with the police on the case; this leads him to meet Capulina, who fanboys all over him, much to Santo's annoyance. Capulina spends most of the film trying to get the hero to visit the group of kids that he coaches.Hilarity Ensues after two of the criminals become convinced that Capulina is El Santo after they see him wearing a replica of his luchador mask (never mind the difference in body shape). Additionally, their leader is forcing a scientist to create robot duplicates of people (including Capulina) to help him kill El Santo.
Tropes in Santo Contra Capulina:
- Evil Cripple: Cedric, the leader of Los Infernales, who has a vendetta against Santo. Though it turns out he's only pretending to be crippled, to help him smuggle diamonds on his wheelchair.)
- Failed a Spot Check: the thugs who mistake Capulina for Santo.
- I'm Your Biggest Fan: Capulina says this to Santo, and even tricks him to get his autograph.
- Mad Scientist's Beautiful Daughter: Cedric forces her and her father to work for him on penalty of death. She tries to seduce Santo and also turn Capulina against him. Both her and her father are eventually redeemed.
- Man Child: Capulina.
- Obfuscating Disability: Cedric, the villain, is a formidable adversary. Who, as it turns out, doesn't actually have a disability.
- Ridiculously Human Robot
- Perfect duplicates of the original (only Santo can tell them apart.)
- This actually works in the heroes' favor when Capulina replaces his own duplicate to infiltrate the criminal hideout.
- What the Fu Are You Doing?
- Capulina while trying to fight (though he does land the occasional good blow.)
- his robot duplicate is MUCH stronger.