Film / Raging Phoenix
A 2009 Thai action film starring Yanin "Jeeja" Vismistananda
Deu, a travelling musician, has been abandoned by her family
, and is kicked out of her band after attacking her cheating boyfriend. After the split up she is nearly kidnapped, but is saved by Sanim, who is part of a group who are trying to stop woman being kidnapped as part of a human trafficking ring...by kicking ass.
After blackmailing the group into training her in their art of Meyraiyuth (by threatening to destroy all their bottles of booze
) she joins in with the ass-kicking, all the while uncovering more secrets about the trafficking and about her new companions.
This movie provides examples of:
- Action Girl
- Big Brother Instinct: Pig towards Dog.
- Bittersweet Ending: Pai is saved, at the cost of Sanim's life.
- Boss Subtitles: When Deu, Pig, Dog and Sanim are introduced. Averted with Bull.
- Chekhov's Gun: Sanim's necklace.
- Confusion Fu: Dog and Pig explain that this is the reason they get drunk before kicking ass.
- Cool vs. Awesome: Most notably, drunken Muay Thai dancefighting vs. drunken kung fu.
- Damsel in Distress: Pai. Deu nearly became this, but Took a Level in Badass instead.
- Dance Battler: Half the point of the movie. The other half being Drunken Boxing.
- Darkest Hour: After Sanim dies, London manages to re-capture Deu after Pig, Dog, and Bull are beaten by her goons. [[spoiler: The film seems to head for a sad ending if not for Deu's determination.
- Designated Girl Fight: The final fight between Deu and London, the boss of the trafficking ring.
- Drunken Boxing: Meyraiyuth is what you get when you throw Muay Thai, Capoeira, and this into a blender.
- Gargle Blaster: A drink so bad that just smelling it can sharpen the senses. Later on everyone takes a drink as a way of apologising to each other.
- Grievous Harm with a Body: Near enough any group fight that you can name, there's a bludgeoning session.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: Deu before taking on and obliterating two Elite Mooks and London in sequence.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Sanim!
- It's Personal: Sanim, Dog and Bull want to bring down the trafficking ring because their girlfriends were killed/kidnapped by the traffickers.
- Little Miss Badass
- Love at First Sight: Deu towards Sanim.
- Rule of Three: Dog-Shit, Pig-Shit, and Bull-Shit.
- Swiss Army Tears: The reason why the women were kidnapped is because their tears of sadness are used in a perfume that makes a man desire sex.