Film: Raging Phoenix
A 2009 Thai action film starring Yanin "Jeeja" VismistanandaDeu, a travelling musician, has been abandoned by her family, and is kicked out of her band after attacking her cheating boyfriend. After the split up she is nearly kidnapped, but is saved by Sanim, who is part of a group who are trying to stop woman being kidnapped as part of a human trafficking ring...by kicking ass.After blackmailing the group into training her in their art of Meyraiyuth (by threatening to destroy all their bottles of booze) she joins in with the ass-kicking, all the while uncovering more secrets about the trafficking and about her new companions.
This movie provides examples of:
- Action Girl
- Big Brother Instinct: Pig towards Dog.
- Bittersweet Ending: Pai is saved, at the cost of Sanim's life.
- Boss Subtitles: When Deu, Pig, Dog and Sanim are introduced. Averted with Bull.
- Chekhov's Gun: Sanim's necklace.
- Confusion Fu: Dog and Pig explain that this is the reason they get drunk before kicking ass.
- Cool vs. Awesome: Most notably, drunken Muay Thai dancefighting vs. drunken kung fu.
- Damsel in Distress: Pai. Deu nearly became this, but Took a Level in Badass instead.
- Dance Battler: Half the point of the movie. The other half being Drunken Boxing.
- Darkest Hour: After Sanim dies, London manages to re-capture Deu after Pig, Dog, and Bull are beaten by her goons. [[spoiler: The film seems to head for a sad ending if not for Deu's determination.
- Designated Girl Fight: The final fight between Deu and London, the boss of the trafficking ring.
- Drunken Boxing: Meyraiyuth is what you get when you throw Muay Thai, Capoeira, and this into a blender.
- Five-Man Band:The Hero: DeuThe Lancer: SanimThe Big Guy: Bull-ShitThe Smart Guy: Dog-Shit, though he definitely isn't weak.The Chick: Pig-Shit
- Gargle Blaster: A drink so bad that just smelling it can sharpen the senses. Later on everyone takes a drink as a way of apologising to each other.
- Grievous Harm with a Body: Near enough any group fight that you can name, there's a bludgeoning session.
- Heroic BSOD: Deu before taking on and obliterating two Elite Mooks and London in sequence.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Sanim!
- It's Personal: Sanim, Dog and Bull want to bring down the trafficking ring because their girlfriends were killed/kidnapped by the traffickers.
- Little Miss Badass
- Love at First Sight: Deu towards Sanim.
- Rule of Three: Dog-Shit, Pig-Shit, and Bull-Shit.
- Swiss Army Tears: The reason why the women were kidnapped is because their tears of sadness are used in a perfume that makes a man desire sex.