Film / Progress Island U.S.A.
Progress Island, U.S.A.
is a 1973 Promotional short that extols the benefits of traveling, living and starting your business in Puerto Rico
. Interestingly, the short repeatedly highlights the similarities of Puerto Rico to the rest of the United States. The film was made encouraging businesses to take advantage of Project Bootstrap, and to move the family because, hey!, not only do we have a yearlong warm climate but McDonald's, too!note
(And in a mild subversion, Project Bootstrap really did
help Puerto Rico modernize and made it one of the wealthiest Caribbean isles.)
Compare with Assignment: Venezuela
, another Latin-American travelogue short.
For the Mystery Science Theater 3000
version, please go to the episode recap page
Progress Island, U.S.A. contains the following tropes:
- Fridge Logic: Only a few hours flight from anywhere in the world! Just like everywhere else in the world...
- Insistent Terminology: Throughout the short, the narrator refers to Puerto Rico as Progress Island.
- The '70s
- Record playersnote and DEC PDP-11 computers are highlighted as products of Puerto Rico's cutting edge industry.
- Of note is what is perhaps a sculpture of a transistor outside of DEC's factory.
- Rum, on the other hand, is timeless. (hiccup)