Film: Mr Skeffington
A woman is beautiful when she's loved, and only then.Mr. Skeffington is a 1944 film starring Bette Davis and Claude Rains, who were both nominated for Academy Awards for their roles.Beautiful Fanny Trellis has many admirers, but she also has an extravagant, dishonest brother, Trippy. He embezzles funds from his boss, Job Skeffington. Job attempts to confront Trippy, but is instantly smitten by Fanny. In order to save Trippy's skin and facilitate a comfortable life for herself, Fanny marries Job. Job is initially devoted, but Fanny is shallow and faithless. The film follows their marriage as the years pass......
- Character Title
- Daddy's Girl: Job's daughter adores him.
- Gold Digger: Fanny
- Green-Eyed Monster: Vain Fanny does not deal well with her daughter's own youth and beauty.
- Happy Marriage Charade: Initally, anyway. Job only realises later in the marriage that Fanny doesn't love him.
- I Just Want to Be Beautiful: This is all Fanny cares about. She does not grow old gracefully.
- Love Hurts: Poor Job.
- Meaningful Name: Job is exceptionally long-suffering.
- Parental Neglect: Fanny is so self-absorbed that she just doesn't care about her daughter.
- Sexless Marriage: Fanny and Job end up in separate rooms quite quickly.
- Sexy Secretary: Job takes solace in his secretaries after his wife exiles him from the marital bed.Job: You mustn't be too harsh on my secretaries. They were always very understanding when I came to the office after a hard day at home.
- True Beauty Is on the Inside: What Job is always trying to tell Fanny.