Metro is an action/suspense film from the year 1997.Scott Roper (Eddie Murphy) is a San Francisco police negotiator with a gambling addiction and an ailing relationship with his ex-girlfriend Veronica. He becomes personally involved with a dangerous criminal Michael Korda (Michael Wincott) when his friend Sam is killed by him. He is also saddled with new partner Kevin McCall, whom he is supposed coax into a new police negotiator.
Examples in this film:
- Ax-Crazy: Mike Korda is ready to kill anyone who's in his way to become rich.
- Battle in the Rain: Scott's fight with Clarence outside Veronica's apartment happens during rain.
- Car Chase: With San Francisco flavoured jumps and a runaway trolley too!
- Chekhov's Skill: McCall's lip reading, which he puts to use during the supposed hostage-exchange in the climax.
- Crazy-Prepared: Not overly so, but in the climactic chase at the end, Roper loses his gun. When he catches up to McCall, who used to be with SWAT, he asks if McCall has a backup gun. When Kevin immediately hands one over, Scott mutters, "Thank god for SWAT."
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Seems like Korda cares for Clarence despite berating him all the time.
- Evil Sounds Deep: Korda. He's played by Michael Wincott.
- Exploding Barrels: Korda dies when his truck drive into some, causing a huge explosion.
- I Have Your Wife: After escaping from prison, Korda kidnaps Veronica so that Scott will give him back his loot.
- Mirror Scare: Some Bait-and-Switch is pulled on the usual "character opens mirror cabinet, and someone pops up in the reflection when s/he closes it" trope (and they do it twice) before Clarence attacks Veronica in her apartment.
- Non-Indicative Name: There is nothing metro-related in this film.
- One-Word Title
- Outside Ride: When Korda tries to make his final escape with Scott's truck, Scott hitches a ride to stop him.
- Shoot Out the Lock: Scott shoots the lock to Veronica's apartment to get in faster to save her from Clarence's attack.
- Shout-Out: "Better feed the dog before we have a Cujo on our hands."
- Slashed Throat: Korda kills Scott's pal Sam by stabbing him several times and slashing his throat in an elevator.
- Take the Wheel: Done when Scott makes the jump for the runaway trolley from his car, and McCall has to the the wheel.
- Tropical Epilogue: The film ends with Scott Veronica relaxing in the beach.