is an action/suspense film from the year 1997.
Scott Roper (Eddie Murphy
) is a San Francisco
police negotiator with a gambling addiction and an ailing relationship with his ex-girlfriend Veronica. He becomes personally involved with a dangerous criminal Michael Korda (Michael Wincott) when his friend Sam is killed by him. He is also saddled with new partner Kevin McCall, whom he is supposed coax into a new police negotiator.
Examples in this film:
- Ax-Crazy: Mike Korda is ready to kill anyone to get his way.
- Battle in the Rain: Scott's fight with Clarence outside Veronica's apartment.
- Car Chase: With San Francisco flavoured jumps and a runaway trolley too!
- Chekhov's Skill: McCall's lip reading.
- Crazy-Prepared: Not overly so, but in the climactic chase at the end, Roper loses his gun. When he catches up to McCall, who used to be with SWAT, he asks if McCall has a backup gun. When Kevin immediately hands one over, Scott mutters, "Thank god for SWAT."
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Seems like Korda cares for Clarence despite berating him all the time.
- Evil Sounds Deep: Korda. He's played by Michael Wincott.