- For just one nightA mysterious power is yoursWhat will you do?
Mary and The Witch's Flower is a 2017 anime film by Studio Ponoc, an anime studio composed of former employees of Studio Ghibli (and it really shows). It was directed by Hiromasa Yonebayashi, who wrote the screenplay with Riko Sakaguchi with music by Takatsugu Muramatsu and is based on the novel The Little Broomstick by Mary Stewart. Studio Ponoc founder Yoshiaki Nishimura was credited as its producer.
Mary and The Witch's Flower provides examples of:
- Big Bad: Madam Mumblechook (presumably, given the orginal book).
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Mary's eyebrows are pretty prominent.
- Character Name and the Noun Phrase
- Cute Witch: Mary.
- Determinator: The "red-headed witch" in the beginning. Mary becomes one over the course of the movie.
- Fish People: A weird example. Some of the Witch's goons are evidently large fish that can walk around with special yellow suits, but can fly out of them to give chase to things...like a certain broom-flying little red-haired girl.
- Flying Broomstick: Mary finds one while walking through a forest.
- Girlish Pigtails: Mary sports these◊ during the trailers.◊
- Plucky Girl: Braving a huge building while it's still on fire? That's Mary for you.
- Power Crystal: Mary apparently gets a hold of what appears to be a bagful of glowing bluish rocks that make weird noises.
- Take Up My Sword: The broomstick and the flower Mary finds come from the "red-headed witch", the young adult witch shown in the trailer (who began the quest that Mary later completes).
- Wizarding School: Mary attends one at some point in the film.
- Youthful Freckles: Mary has these within her Blush Stickers.
- Zettai Ryouki: Mary has Grade B in the first official trailer.