A 1992 Dramedy
film directed by (and co-starring) Woody Allen
After their friends Jack (Sydney Pollack
) and Sally (Judy Davis
) split up, the marriage between college professor Gabe (Allen) and magazine editor Judy (Mia Farrow
) encounters several difficulties: Gabe becomes close to one of his students, aspiring writer Rain (Juliette Lewis
), while Judy takes it upon herself to introduce Sally to one of her colleagues, becoming dissatisfied when they start a relationship. Meanwhile, Jack and Sally's separation wildly ranges from amicable
to hostile, when it's revealed each is jealous of the other having found a new love interest.
Examples of tropes:
- Comedy of Remarriage: Subverted.
- The Ditz: Sam, Jack's new girlfriend, a good-natured (and much younger) aerobics instructor whose main interests are health foods and fads.
Man: "If astrology were true - "
Sam: "It is true! It is totally, totally, totally provable, you know?"
Woman: "Provable how? From gypsies?"
Sam: "Well, it's totally logical, right? You know, why wouldn't the position of the planets have an influence on our personalities?"
- Foreshadowing: Gabe states Jack and Sally will be back together in a year. He's right, but Gabe and Judy will break up.
- Happily Married: Rain's parents are happy and content, in stark contrast to Jack, Sally, Gabe and Judy.
- High-Class Call Girl: Before leaving Sally and finding a girlfriend, Jack hires consummate professional "Shawn Grainger".
- Ice Queen: Jack sees Sally as one, of the "bossy neurotic wife" variety; a major source of trouble throughout their marriage has been Sally's apparent frigidity, combined with her upper-class tastes.
- Meaningful Name: "Rain", named after poet Rainer Maria Rilke.
- Reality Subtext. And HOW.
- Teacher/Student Romance: Everything seems to be headed that way for Gabe and Rain, but he changes his mind after kissing her at her birthday party. Doesn't make him happier in the long run, though.
- Type Casting: In 1992 Juliette Lewis was better known as a precocious, provocative young woman type - Cape Fear had been released the year before.