Film / Heartless
Jamie Morgan is an aspiring photographer who has very prominent birthmarks on his face (which is shaped like a heart) and arm. He tries living a normal life, but is continually stared at and teased by various people. He receives a summons to a dilapidated flat block and given a chance by the sinister Papa B to be rid of his marks for a price. Jamie takes it and feels much more confident and happy in his life, getting a chance at a relationship with aspiring model Tia. However, he must hold up his end of the deal with Papa B and is forced to cut out a man's heart and place it on a church's steps or suffer the consequences.
A very well done indie film and star turn by Jim Sturgess
. While having a simple story, it's very well written and acting and can be genuinely frightening at several points.
Not to be confused with The Heartless
This film contains examples of:
- Apologetic Attacker: Jamie when he cuts out the heart of the prostitute.
- Beat Still, My Heart: Jamie's end of the bargain is for him to cut out a man's heart and leave it on the steps of a church on the night of a full moon.
- Bury Your Gays: For his sacrifice, Jamie finds a gay prostitute on the streets to kill.
- Deal with the Devil: Done between Jamie to get rid of his birthmarks.
- Freakiness Shame: It's revealed that Tia still slept with Jamie despite him still having his birthmarks.
- Shower of Angst: Jamie takes one after he completes his end of the bargain.
- Through the Eyes of Madness: At the film's end, it's revealed that Jamie imagined all the supernatural elements of the film, meaning that he never lost his birthmarks.