The 2004 live-action film adaptation of the Viz comic storyline Fat Slags
. The story follows two immense women from an over-the-top stereotype of the North-West of England
going to the slightly less over-the-top stereotype of London, to sit in the Studio Audience
of a current affairs show.
While there, they accidentally charm their way into the heart of a multi-multi-multi-billionaire, Sean Cooley (Jerry O'Connell), who has just suffered a severe blow to the head. The blow makes him forget to hide his Chubby Chaser
fetish and, when he sees the girls on TV, he gets obsessed with them. He decides to make Fat Admirers the driving force behind all fashion and pop culture, while showering the ladies in gifts and unwittingly causing his besotten Personal Assistant, Paige (Geri Halliwell), to gorge herself into a Big Beautiful Woman
. First Britain and then, offscreen, the rest of the world become enthusiastic Fat Admirers and either Big Beautiful Women or those who want to be BBWs
This film provides examples of:
- Naomi Campbell Hates Your Guts: The store scene.
- Affectionate Parody: multiple instances, including a surprisingly in-depth one of Mission: Impossible.
- Awful British Sex Comedy
- Armpit-Deep In The Penis Well
- Big Beautiful Woman: The Fat Slags spearhead the countrywide invocation of this trope, as it becomes a trend for all women to emulate them.
- Big Eater: Obviously the Fat Slags are the fat variety. Shortly after they start dating a multi-trillionaire, we have a scene showing one of the Fat Slags, then panning down her chest to follow a table piled three feet high with ridiculously fattening food for about a full minute before panning up the other Fat Slag. The pile of food is so long, they need a phone at each end to talk.
- Of course, every other woman in Britain apparently now has the rare variation of a thin person stuffing themselves continuously and actually becoming fat as a result.
- Paige eats lunch onscreen after fat becomes fashionable. Her lunch consists of eight or more giant, double-chocolate-chip cookies and a slab (one sixth) of an enormous, rich chocolate cake.
- It's displayed on-screen in the cameo role by Naomi Campbell. She has started eating nonstop, taking huge bites of enormous greasy burgers in between every sentence.
- British Accents: Everyone in Fulchester speaks in a Lancastrian accent, and Baz and Dave turn it Up to Eleven with an incomprehensible version of the accent. All this despite the fact that not only in the Viz comic Fulchester is supposed to be an Expy of Newcastle, home of the Geordie accent, but unlike most characters, the eponymous Fat Slags in the comic are from Nottingham!
- Caption Humor
- Casting Gag: Hard to say whether it was intentional or not, but Paige's weight gain subplot carries an extra layer of subtext when you consider that back in her Spice Girls days, Geri Halliwell wasn't exactly fat per se, but definitely on the curvier side. After quitting the group she lost a lot of weight and has generally been quite skinny since then.
- Corpsing: Dolph Lundgren is obviously trying not to laugh when the slags give him mouth-to-mouth.
- Fan Disservice: The Slags themselves.
- Fartillery: Played straight. Somehow a release of gas causes their gardener to explode and their morning release causes multiple animals to run away.
- Fetish: Mr. Cooley suffers a blow to the head and suffers a change of personality, including suddenly being a Fat Admirer.
- Hollywood Pudgy: Subverted when Naomi Campbell does a cameo role in which her gain consists of about fifteen to twenty pounds and it is intentionally treated as not enough gain.
- Made of Explodium: The Slags' gardener explodes for no clearly defined reason, after having a fatally squished pet dog thrown into him and then falling into a wheelbarrow. Later on a laptop goes up in a similarly violent explosion, although it's implied at an earlier point that the laptop has a self-destruct mechanism which the Slags inadvertently trigger by whacking it around.
- Motor Mouth: Baz and Dave.
- Musicalis Interruptus: When one of the Slags gets out of a bathtub, the opera singer who was part of the background music screams in terror, causing the band to halt.
- Oop North
- Rule of Funny:
- Stock Footage: Of animals (many of them African) running away from the Slags' Fartillery.
- Toilet Humor
- Vulgar Humor
- The Unintelligible: The slags' boyfriends, Baz and Dave. Their thick Northern accents are so incomprehensible they're mistaken for illegal immigrants and deported to Afghanistan—the interrogators think Dave, telling them that San gives Baz a "hard-on," actually said "Osama Bin Laden."