Film: Fat Slags
The 2004 live-action film adaptation of the Viz comic storyline Fat Slags. The story follows two immense women from an over-the-top stereotype of the North-West of England going to the slightly less over-the-top stereotype of London, to sit in the Studio Audience of a current affairs show.While there, they accidentally charm their way into the heart of a multi-multi-multi-billionaire, Sean Cooley (Jerry O'Connell), who has just suffered a severe blow to the head. The blow makes him forget to hide his Chubby Chaser fetish and, when he sees the girls on TV, he gets obsessed with them. He decides to make Fat Admirers the driving force behind all fashion and pop culture, while showering the ladies in gifts and unwittingly causing his besotten Personal Assistant, Paige (Geri Halliwell), to gorge herself into a Big Beautiful Woman. First Britain and then, offscreen, the rest of the world become enthusiastic Fat Admirers and either Big Beautiful Women or those who want to be BBWs.
This film provides examples of:
- Affectionate Parody: multiple instances, including a surprisingly in-depth one of Mission: Impossible.
- Big Beautiful Woman: The Fat Slags spearhead the countrywide invocation of this trope, as it becomes a trend for all women to emulate them.
- Big Eater: Obviously the Fat Slags are the fat variety. Shortly after they start dating a multi-trillionaire, we have a scene showing one of the , then panning down her chest to follow a table piled three feet high with ridiculously fattening food for about a full minute before panning up the other Fat Slag. The pile of food is so long, they need a phone at each end to talk.
- Corpsing: Dolph Lundgren is obviously trying not to laugh when the Slags give him mouth-to-mouth.
- Fartillery: Played straight. Somehow a release of gas causes their gardener to explode and their morning release causes multiple animals to run away.
- Fetish: Mr. Cooley suffers a blow to the head and suffers a change of personality, including suddenly being a Fat Admirer.
- Hollywood Pudgy: Subverted when Naomi Campbell does a cameo role in which her gain consists of about fifteen to twenty pounds and it is intentionally treated as not enough gain.
- Made of Explodium: The Slags' gardener explodes for no clearly defined reason, after having a fatally squished pet dog thrown into him and then falling into a wheelbarrow. Later on a laptop goes up in a similarly violent explosion, although it's implied at an earlier point that the laptop has a self-destruct mechanism which the Slags inadvertently trigger by whacking it around.
- Musicalis Interruptus: When one of the Slags gets out of a bathtub, the opera singer who was part of the background music screams in terror, causing the band to halt.
- The Unintelligible: The slags' boyfriends, Baz and Dave. Their thick Northern accents are so incomprehensible they're mistaken for illegal immigrants and deported to Afghanistan—the interrogators think Dave, telling them that San gives Baz a "hard-on," actually said "Osama Bin Laden."