Film: Doctor Detroit
Doctor Detroit is a 1983 Fish out of Water Comedy starring Dan Aykroyd.Clifford Skridlow teaches at a small Chicago college run by his father. Conned into managing four prostitutes by their pimp, who skips town to escape the mob boss known as Mom, Clifford draws on his course in medieval literature in his quest to save the women from Mom.Devo did the film's theme song.
- Adorkable: When not in character as the eponymous Doctor, Clifford really is.
- Dirty Coward: Smooth Walker for dumping his problems on poor Clifford.
- Karma Houdini: Smooth again. He set Cliff up for the fall, and in the end he's shown living happily ever after on a tropical island.
- Line-of-Sight Name: This is how the title character is named. A pimp named Smooth Walker is in the office of Mom, a competitor, and he convinces her that he's leaving because "the Doctor" has forced him out.Mom: "Doctor?"Smooth: Yeah. Doctor...(Looks around frantically, spies a travel poster for Detroit behind her head) Detroit."
- One Bad Mother: The ruthless drug dealer is called "Mom".
- Two-Timer Date: This is the device employed for the climactic sequence. Skridlow is running back and forth between a society function and a pimps'/hookers' bash, both in the same hotel, and has to switch clothes and personae between them as well. With predictable results.
- Who Wears Short Shorts?: Cliff wears some alarmingly tiny shorts while power-walking during the theme song sequence.