A very obvious cash-in
of Death Race
that ironically has more in common with Death Race 2000
than the "official" remake, which was Darker and Edgier
than Death Race 2000
. This one is more reliant on over-the-top, fucked up comedy
(it also has strong influences from Grindhouse
, particularly Death Proof
). Death Racers
stars Insane Clown Posse
and pro wrestler Scott "Raven" Levy
Story takes place three years after a civil war erupted, the United States declared martial law, and an entire city was turned into a massive prison camp. Levy plays a terrorist who plans to release sarin into the country's water supply. The state's governor holds a "death race" within the prison, promising freedom to the team that brings the terrorist back, dead or alive.
Provides examples of:
- Black Comedy Rape
- Blood Sport
- Car Fu
- Depraved Bisexual: The Vaginamyte team consists of two serial killers who seduced and murdered over 72 male and female victims.
- Executive Meddling: The reason why this movie is so cheap.
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot
- Gory Discretion Shot
- Juggalo: The movie's director is a Juggalo, and was responsible for a bunch of ICP Allusions, including the reference to Shangri-La, and screaming "FUCK THE WORLD" at the end of the movie.
- The Mockbuster: By The Asylum, of course.
- Money, Dear Boy: Averted. ICP appeared in the movie not necessarily for the pay check (although it helped), but to brush up on their acting skills to star in their own movies, Big Money Hustlas and Big Money Rustlas.
- Old Shame: Averted again. ICP knew the movie wouldn't be particularly good when they made it, and called it "terribly shitty" and "the bootleg ripoff fake version" of Death Race. But they still didn't regret making it, because The Asylum's cheapness inspired them to aspire to try to make a better movie on a low budget, by not being as cheap as The Asylum.
- Rated M for Manly
- Shout-Out: ICP riding in a Twisted Metal-esque ice cream truck with a meat grinder and machine guns.
- ICP say, "I'll cut the head off the Devil and throw it at you," which is from Run-D.M.C.'s "Raising Hell."
- This Is a Drill: Metal Machine Man's Thing.