is a 1996 Disaster Movie
, starring Sylvester Stallone
, Amy Brenneman
, Viggo Mortensen
, Dan Hedaya
, and Danielle Harris
. It was directed by Rob Cohen
and released in theaters on December 6, 1996.
When an explosion blocks New York's Holland Tunnel at both ends, ex Emergency Medical Services Chief Kit Latura (Sylvester Stallone
) is the only one with the know-how and experience to save the day. Risking his life to join the survivors in the tunnel; he finds a feisty writer, an elderly couple, a famous action-man, a quarreling family, some young hoodlums, a security guard and even a Weimaraner dog. Can he put his own past tragedies behind him and bring this desperate group to safety?
This film provides examples of:
- Air-Vent Passageway: Latura entering the tunnel via an air vent, involving passing through four giant fans before they speed up, is widely regarded as easily the best part of the movie.
- Bat Scare: The Swarm of Rats, which scares some of the survivors but doesn't harm them and leads them to an escape-route.
- Bury Your Disabled: George is left to die because of his broken neck.
- It's George's suggestion and he has to talk Latura into it.
- Chase Scene: What ends up causing the explosion in the tunnel.
- Cold Equation: Agreeing to let George stay behind (and die.)
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: The reason why they're dumping the illegal waste in New Jersey by driving through the tunnel.
- Decoy Protagonist: Viggo Mortensen is billed second to Sylvester Stallone. His role just has him showing that he's an egocentric survivalist. He promptly gets killed when he tries climbing an unstable tunnel shaft that Latura explicitly states is treacherous.
- Diabolus ex Machina: After the explosions, the tunnel turns into this for Latura. Toward the end, he's even daring it to keep trying to kill him (and the last survivor) as he plants his final explosive. They both survive.
- Hero with Bad Publicity: Latura is this in-universe.
- Jerkass: Nord
- Noodle Incident: Why Latura stopped being an EMT and is now a limo driver.
- Obstructive Bureaucrat: The city officials that want to open the tunnel right away even though that means it will kill the survivors.
- Rag Tag Bunch Of Misfits: An elderly couple, a jerkass action guy, several ex-cons, a family, a failed playwright, a security guard, a dog, a family and an ex-EMT chief.
- Retirony: George, the security guard guy.
- Too Dumb to Live: The punk diamond thieves who cause the initial accident.
- Title Drop: George telling Kit to take the survivors to back to daylight.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: When rats start pouring into the gang's temporary shelter, LaTonya freaks out and can barely move.