A Biopic about Ian Curtis and Joy Division, directed in 2007 by Anton Corbijn as his director's debut. Possibly the only straight up bio-pic that isn't a documentary.
- Breakup Song: "Love Will Tear Us Apart" is played after Curtis and his wife start to fall apart following his distance from her.
- Convulsive Seizures: Curtis was an epileptic, so this side of his life is also shown.
- Cult Soundtrack: Interestingly enough the soundtrack album has covers of the originals more than anything else.
- Downer Ending: Ian commits suicide, Deborah ends up distraught (doesn't help she was raising their daughter..) and the band breaks up.
- Deliberately Monochrome: The entire film is shot in black-and-white.
- Despair Event Horizon: After Deborah doesn't return his feelings of staying with him, Ian sends her out which leads to a seizure. He recovers only to finally hit this point and commit suicide.
- Doomed Protagonist: Everyone knows from the start that Ian Curtis eventually committed suicide.
- Oop North: The film takes place there. In fact the corresponding TV Tropes article used a shot of this movie to illustrate this.
- Your Cheating Heart: The implication of what starts Deborah's relationship with Ian to deteriorate. Ironically, in Real life, both Ian and his 'lover' Annik Honoré were considered just close friends, Annik constantly stating her relationship with Ian was platonic.