Colin Is a 2008 British zombie film . The film was made for a famously low budget (£45 is the figure claimed by the director) and was made with lo-tech equipment and volunteer actors. Unusually, rather than focus on survivors the film follows the story of the eponymous protagonist as he dies, returns to 'life' and wanders hungrily through the devastation of a a city in the early stages of a Zombie Apocalypse. Many of the the tropes associated with the genre are present, but seeing them from the POV of a zombie puts a fresh twist on them all. The acting, direction and effects may have been done on the cheap but they are all excellent, and this movie is well worth checking out.
Provides Examples Of:
- Apocalyptic Log: Subverted- we see the title card for "My awesome undead documentary" but said documentary was sadly never completed.
- Humans Are the Real Monsters: One of the survivors is rescued by a guy who turns out to be a serial killer. Many of the other human survivors are not portrayed in a very sympathetic light either.
- Made of Plasticine: Mostly averted, particularly in the opening scenes in the kitchen.
- Not Using the Z Word: Although the dialogue is fairly minimal anyway, so it doesn't jar too much.
- Practical Voiceover: According to the news broadcast seen toward the end of the film the zombie outbreak was worldwide and the use of nukes has been authorized in the USA.
- Shout-Out: The newspaper with the headline 'The Dead Walk', originally seen in the original Day of the Dead (1985) which is now almost a Running Gag in zombie movies.
- The Siege: we only see the end- it has not gone well for the survivors.
- Villain Protagonist: Sort of. The sight of Colin's confusion and misery in the later scenes will touch your heart even if he has eaten a couple of people by that point.
- Zombie Apocalypse: With the classic Romero-type zombies.
- Zombie Infectee: Averted - no-one seems to be under any delusions about surviving bites. Averted when the survivors draw lots to decide who among them will have to beat the bitten members of their group to death.