Film: Black Water
Are you ready to die?Black Water is a 2007 Australian horror film, inspired by true events.While on vacation in Northern Australia, Gracie (Diana Glenn); her husband, Adam (Andy Rodoreda), and her younger sister, Lee (Maeve Dermody), decide to take the Blackwater Barry tour in the swamp for fishing. Their guide, Jim, uses a small motorboat and takes the tourists along the river to a remote spot. When they stop, they are attacked by a huge crocodile that capsizes their boat and immediately kills Jim. The three survivors climb a tree and, when they realize that help would never come to rescue them, they decide to try to find a way out of their sheltered location. However, in the muddy water, their boat is flipped and the crocodile stalks the trio under the water.The director would later go on and direct a Spiritual Successor titled The Reef. Not to be confused with the American Private Military Contractor company of the same name.
This film includes the following tropes:
- Bittersweet Ending: The crocodile is killed, but Gracie and her unborn baby did not survive.
- Chekhov's Gun: Jim's revolver.
- Final Girl: After her older sister gets terribly injured in a crocodile attack, Lee is the last one left physically capable to fight off the crocodile. She does indeed kill it, but she returns to find her sister's lifeless body.
- Fingore: Lee's fingers were bent in unnatural ways following her attack.
- Jump Scare: The crocodile jumps out of the water and almost gets Gracie while she's on a fairly high branch. The scene tells you that you should've feared for her more while she was hanging on the branches near the surface of the river.
- Market-Based Title: The film is called Predator in the Philippines.
- Never Smile at a Crocodile
- Reptiles Are Abhorrent