"Language bearers, photographers, diary makers. You with your memory are dead, frozen. Lost in a present that never stops passing. Here lives the incantation of matter. A language forever. Like a flame burning away the darkness, life is flesh on bone convulsing above the ground."
— Opening Text
is a 1990 Surreal Horror experimental
film written, produced and directed by E Elias Merhige
. The film was shot entirely in black-and-white
with no dialogue whatsoever
. The film is basically a reimagining of the story of the Genesis.
A (much shorter) Spiritual Sequel
, Din of Celestial Birds
, was released in 2006.Needs Wiki Magic Love
This film contains the following tropes:
- Based on a True Story: Kind of; it's based on a near-death experience the producer had when he was nineteen.
- Deliberately Monochrome: There isn't even a single shade of gray in the movie.
- Everyone Is Jesus in Purgatory: Pretty much the whole point of the movie.
- The Faceless: God and the nomads.
- Le Film Artistique
- Mind Screw
- Rule of Symbolism: This is the entire premise of the film. All the events happening in the film are meant to represent the events of the Genesis in the Bible, especially with Mother Earth impregnating herself with God's semen. (The latter is supposed to represent God impregnating the Virgin Mary with Jesus.)
- This film also follows the path of at least one arc of Egyptian mythology, with the above event being similar to the story of Isis impregnating herself using the fallen Osiris's penis and giving birth to Horus.
- Silence Is Golden
- Surreal Horror: And how.