And God Created Woman
(original title: Et Dieu Crea La Femme
) is a 1956 French film directed by Roger Vadim and starring Brigitte Bardot
. This was Bardot's Star-Making Role
, though it wasn't her first, not even by a long shot.
The plot concerns Juliette Hardy (Bardot), a rather irresponsible 18-years-old girl living with foster parents in Saint Tropez. She is very popular amongst the male populace of the town, including wealthy businessman Eric Carradine (Curd Jurgens). But the one she falls in love with is Antoine Tardieu (Christian Manguard), who treats her like dirt. When her foster parents threaten to send her back to the orphanage, she accepts the marriage proposal from Antoine's nicer, younger brother Michel (Jean-Louis Trintignant). While Juliette is getting used to married life, Antoine moves back into the house and drama ensues.
Provides examples of:
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Juliette and Antoine.
- Angry Dance: Juliette's mambo near the end of the movie.
- Bathroom Stall of Overheard Insults: Juliette goes to a dance with Antoine early in the film. When she goes to the bathroom, she overhears him saying that her kind is only for one-night stands.
- Dirty Old Man: Juliette's foster father watches her while she's sunbathing naked. When his wife catches him, she calls him a dirty old man.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Juliette, who even goes to work barefooted. Her foster mother mentions that one of the customers complained about that.
- Fanservice: Durr. Brigitte Bardot's in it.
- The Hedonist: Juliette.
- In Name Only: In the 1980s, Vadim made a film with the same name which is often regarded as a remake of this one, but has next to nothing in common plotwise.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: "Hey, that sort of stuff is rated R." note - Christian (Michel's younger brother) about Michel and Juliette making out in the living room.
- The Love Slap of Epiphany
- Love Triangle: Michel loves Juliette, while she loves Antoine. Juliette decidedly loves Michel at movie's end, though.
- Making Love in All the Wrong Places: Juliette and Antoine have sex in the beach.
- Major Injury Underreaction: Carradine about taking a bullet in the hand.
- May-December Romance: If Carradine/Juliette had ever turned into something serious, they'd be this trope.
- Ms. Fanservice: Juliette, obviously.
- My Girl Is Not a Slut: This trope is why Antoine doesn't want a committed relationship with Juliette.
- Nice Guy: Michel. Four slaps of epiphany notwithstanding.
- Shoot Out the Lock: Michel tries it in one scene, but fails. Antoine remarks that it only works in the movies.
- Trophy Wife: What Carradine wants to make of Juliette.
- Vapor Wear: Juliette. For example, at the beginning of the movie, she's sunbathing naked; then she puts on a dress and goes to work. She doesn't even wear a bra under her wedding dress.
- Your Cheating Heart: Juliette ends up cheating on Michel with Antoine.