Fan Fic Recs: Star Trek: The Next Generation
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth being encased in a comet for
These are recommendations made by Tropers for Star Trek: The Next Generation
fanfics, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here
You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page
though; that goes in the discussion page.
An index of all Star Trek
Fanfiction Recommendations pages can be found here
Authors and Websites
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
by Bob Regent
Star Trek: Specter of the Past
- Recommended by Judge King
- Sypnosis: What if the Enterprise C was unable to return to the past? What does the reality of a war torn Federation really look like?
The Finest In The Fleet
- Recommended by tnpir4002
- Synopsis: A leading Starfleet scientist steals classified secrets before apparently dying during an escape attempt; but when he returns five years later, he's meaner and more dangerous than ever, and it falls to his oldest friend to decipher his plan and stop him before it's too late. (Set in the latter TNG era but with a different cast)
A 62-Day Study of the Human Grieving Process
- Recommended by Across The Stars
- Synopsis: A tribute poem to the crew of the Enterprise-D. She will always be "the finest ship in the fleet."
- Comments: Normally I'm leery of poems of any sort, but I took a chance on this one. It's actually pretty darned good. A must-read for any TNG fan.
- Recommended by sabrina
- Synopsis: Data, after Tasha's death.
- Comments: A short fic, but one of the best (if not in fact the best) portrayals of Data's character (and more importantly, his thought processes) I've ever come across. Love, love, love.
Gotor: The Most Powerful Being Who Ever Lived!
- Recommended by Gentlemens Dame 883
- Synopsis: In another universe, the Enterprise-C gets destroyed by Klingons before it can enter the rift back into its own time. Picard decides to tell the Temporal Prime Directive to sod off and has the D go back into the past to Set Right What Once Went Wrong. Every decision has consequences, however, and though the war he intended to avert is successfully prevented, it starts to come out that a vast conspiracy was responsible for plunging the galaxy's powers into war, one that will brook no interference.
by Galaxy 1001 D
- Recommended by Andariel
- Synopsis: It's a trek through time as the officers of two Enterprises confront Gotor: The Most Powerful Being Who Ever Lived!
- Comments: Hilarious one-shot that takes place in both the Original Series and the Next Generation
Lost in the Woods
Task Force 43
- Recommended by SAMAS
- Synopsis: Shortly after introducing Picard to the Borg, Q has enough of his attitude and decides to test his compassion by sending him to a universe where compassion is in short supply: The Firefly 'Verse.
- No Good Deed Also by Ardwolf.
- Also Recommended by SAMAS.
- Synopsis: Serenity's luck never goes well for long, and after that huge piece of luck running into the Enterpise, it comes back to bite him big time. Meanwhile, Picard has to answer for his actions in the 'Verse, and discovers the true meaning of Q's actions.
- Recommended by Judge King
- Sypnosis: A Starfleet Task Force is thrown into the Babylon 5 universe.
- Comments: A really good fic that will definitely take several days to read.
- YMMV on that one. While the opening chapters are good, and deal with a lot of the problems that Starfleet would encounter as they try to set up a new colony, it eventually settles into Boring Invincible Hero status, bordering on Mary Sue levels of moral superiority over everyone in the Babylon5 universe, which isn't what Babylon 5 is about. Babylon 5 is about ordinary people struggling to survive in a world fantastic and amazing. Will they have flaws? Yes, but that makes them interesting. The Federation has virtually no flaws, and it gets really, really tiring to read page after page of how awesome everything in the Federation is compared to anything in the B5 universe.
- I second the recommendation. The Federation does come up as superior, but they are pretty much at the level of First Ones in the B5 universe. The difference is that they try to respect the rights and sovereignty of the less-advanced races. Some of the Federation characters even see their inability to stay isolated and neutral as a failure on their part. So, yeah, YMMV.
The Best In Space
- Recommended by Calatoria
- Synopsis: The Enterprise picks up a rather lost Serenity after it comes out of a wormhole. Hilarity Ensues.
- Comments: Adorable and funny. The characterization is brilliant, and the comparisons drawn between members of the different crews are so perfect you wonder why they didn't occur to you before.
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.
- Recommended by Thunderchin
- Synopsis: A crossover with Portal 2 where the Enterprise encounters a strange orb-like artifact from 21st century Earth.
- Comments: Five chapters, each corresponding to the segments as if broken by commercial breaks. Each character is presented and acts as if this were an actual episode of the show. If Portal 2 existed back in the day, and Valve Software felt up to it, this actually COULD have been an episode.
by Mistress Scribbles (AU, with some torture)
- Recommended by Blossom Morphine
- Pairing(s): Data/Yar
- Synopsis: In which Tasha never had the bridge dropped on her, and her relationship with Data throughout the series. "Fate conspired differently. Death passed Tasha by. Given the time to evolve, a relationship she'd dismissed as a one night stand became the most complicated love affair she'd know. Series of stories spanning the show & movies." Now with a TvTropes page!
- Comments: Complete with 61 chapters and will be followed up with a sequel, it's an addictive fic, with a great deal of character study, and touching in how vulnerable Data and Yar interact but never OOC. One moment fluffy bordering on crack, the next, heart breakingly tragic. I cannot recommend this enough. Also has a sequel.
- YMMV on this. I personally can't second the rec, and feel this reviewer put it best:
"[T]his story seems to mistake nastiness for sexual tension. Tasha is a selfish, petty, spiteful, caustic harpy who makes absolutely everything about her and eternally plays the victim. [...] Data you have as a true automaton (but only when it comes to romance) in a way that - even if I bought that he has no emotions and nothing like emotions - doesn't fit at all with his canon character. [...] These people are awful, this isn't romantic."
Tough to categorize.
TNG Season 8
, a parodic Twitter
The Mihoshi Incident
'' by Derek Sherman
- Recommended by Puidwen
- Synopsis: A crossover with Tenchi Muyo where the Enterprise encounters Mihoshi
[[https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!search/"one$20friendship"$20star$20trek/alt.startrek.creative/vxgqcrtvlb0/7pZtIRxwFPEJ One Friendship]]
'' by monkee
- Recommended by Starwolf
- Synopsis: Zefram Cochrane and Lily Sloane talk after the Friendship One probe is launched.