These are recommendations made by Tropers for Neon Genesis Evangelion
authors, reviewers and websites, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here
You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page
though; that goes in the discussion page.
open/close all folders
DarkScribes.Org Webarchive form 2003
- Predating most other NGE fanfic writing circles, DS was one of the earliest English speaking NGE writer circles. Originally comprised of a few writers circa 2001, the stable of writers grew based on invitation by the organization's founder, "Lord Deathscythe". It has since branched to other fandoms, but contains a core number of members who cut their teeth on NGE fanfiction. Recently undergoing something of a re-invention thanks to a change of host and a rewrite of the site's code to be more user friendly. While the main archive was saved, the rewrite didn't go smoothly so Deathscythe decided to rewrite it from scratch, rendering the site inaccessible for years. As of November 3, 2013, Darkscribes is officially operational once more, with the entire archive restored and available.
- Additionally, Deathscythe has openly announced that he wishes to wean the community off of their dependence on Fan Fiction.net since the closure of several high-profile Eva fanfiction archives. For that end, Darkscribes has begun assimilating a number of these defunct archives, most importantly Evafics.net and Evalemons/Lemontastica (though the latter's content requires a user account to access, for obvious reasons).
- A website originally dedicated to NGE fics but since expanded into general fanfiction, with a semi-active community forums containing a similarly useful archive of information. In early 2013, the old site ceased to exist due to the administrator no longer being able to pay for hosting; a new site has been launched but all the old forum content has been lost and the fanfiction section has been replaced with a link to the Evamade community on FF.net. In late October 2013, Darkscribes made an attempt at an acquisition but the admin, Snowfairy, still has her own plans regarding the site.
Reviews and critics
The Evangelion Fanfic Review Syndicate
SEELE -- An Evangelion Fanfic Review group
- The oldest review group for English language NGE fanfiction, The Evangelion Fanfic Review Syndicate was formed in 1999 by early NGE fans on the NGE mailing list (Evangelion.ml.Org, later known as Eva.OneGeek.Org), their reviews offer a glimpse into the distant past of NGE ficdom, when the series was only just beginning to be translated by fans to English. Back then, fans had to rely on the Literal Translation Project to understand what was being said, and few could even get their hands on bootlegged copies of End of Evangelion. The archaic and esoteric stories reviewed offer very different interpretations of the series than contemporary authors tend to offer, and some are very difficult to find on the web today.
- (Preserved on Archive.org, circa June 03, 2003)
- While the contained links are pretty uniformly broken, the curious can find most of the stories in question archived here.
- A review group started by another early generation of NGE fans, SEELE's members are also who's-who of fanfic authors who turned out some of the earliest English language NGE fanfiction. Thus, their reviews are of some of the best fanfics early writers had to offer, as well as other stories which have since been long forgotten by newer fans.
- A circle of early generation fanfic writers and readers who compiled reviews for NGE fanfiction, Project R provides reviews for some of the best works the NGE fanfic community had to offer as of the early 2000's. The group is now defunct.
- (Preserved on Archive.org, circa Feb. 17, 2006)
- A circle of NGE fanfic critics who formed in early '01, the "Fanfic Yakuza" were unified by their unabashed willingness to flame fanfiction they hated. Hence the "yakuza" theme. While the majority of their reviews were negative listing of fanfics to avoid, a few reviews point to that elusive 10% you should read.
- (Preserved on Archive.org, circa Feb. 03, 2004)
Merridian's fics make good use of jumbled, surreal timeline breaking, or can build episodes of story from just a few scenes, or even one.
Most of MidnightCereal's Eva fics are fairly short. All of them are smartly written, with an interesting balance of humor and drama, and cover wildly different themes and genres.
Kadmon's fics have three things in common: 1. They're very well-written. 2. They feature strong insights into the characters' minds and personalities, even when they diverge from canon. 3. They are either very dark
, or turn that way before it's all said and done.
Gregg has become a new favorite in TV Tropes' Eva fandom with his fics, which are a helluva lot of fun and take the franchise in unique directions. Most notably, he has a talent for awesome spins on Rei. Unfortunately, the considerable Fan Dumb
he ended up on the receiving end of while writing Nobody Dies
resulted in him taking an extended break from the fic, and restarting it as a Rebuild.
While it hasn't been updated in some time, it is home to a number of high quality fics, most notably the two parter Holding Hands
and the epic Higher Learning
A truly prolific fanfic writer for Eva (and some other fandoms) who consistently nails characterization and story pacing. All of the stories are of very high quality, and are worth reading.