Fanfic Recs: His Dark Materials
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth dying for (or having one's atoms become one with the universe) here: These are recommendations made by Tropers for His Dark Materials Fan Fics, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here. Do warn when a fanfic may head into non-canon territory. Some people just don't like it, and as we all know, Shipping is Serious Business. You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page though; that goes in the discussion page.
Authors and Websites"Ceres Wunderkind"
- Recommended by SenorP
- Overview: He's worked on HDM for years now—and it shows. Whatever loose ends or shortcomings everyone complains about in "Spyglass" have been carefully examined and rectified. His website is a real resource for anyone with tangential memory of the series. On FF his stories always get Reviews that are well worth reading themselves. No mulefa!
- Particular Stories: The Holy War is a short (and brutally-realistic) multiversal report about what happens after Lyra gets back. High-concept and blackly Orwellian (or Amis-ian?). The Reliquary's short and tight—almost "flash fiction"—about Limehouse children being sold to Lapland.
- Comments: He's a wordsmith and weighs all the moral issues: every one of his works is a gem, with not a word wasted.
- Recommended by Thagomizer
- Synopsis: Intended to be the first of a trilogy, would follow Lyra, Will, and their children in their respective universes, and a new character as they work to establish the Republic of Heaven.
- Comments: Easily the best fanfiction in a series sorely lacking in it, this is one of the best fanfics I've ever read. Sadly, it was guillotined by the author before it really began to take flight, but what is there is still an incredible read.
- Recommended by Aver
- Pairing(s): Lyra/Will
- Synopsis: What if Lyra had picked the option to go to Wills world instead of staying in her own? Takes place after The Amber Spyglass.
- Comments: It's only a short fic, but it's certainly worth a read. From the beginning, you know that it isn't going to end well, but you keep on reading and hoping that maybe she survives after all. It's angst you see coming and yet it's a surprise when it happens. If the writer can do that, then it proves he's very good. Certainly worth a read.
- Recommended by Vifetoile
- Pairing(s): Lyra/Will
- Synopsis: A door missed - or left apurpose - can be found even when you aren't looking for it. Takes place after The Amber Spyglass.
- Comments: Yes, it's one of a million stories reuniting Will and Lyra again — but this one actually pulls it off incredibly well. Aside from a few logistical issues, the story really feels like a part of the original books, on every level — including a strong narrative voice, believably mature Will and Lyra, and strong characterization overall.
CrossoversThe Ivory Horn by kaydeefalls
- Recommended by Selina Catz
- Fandoms: Narnia, His Dark Materials
- Pairings: Will/Lyra
- Synopsis: If there's a way back out of this world, Will is determined to find it. At any cost.
- Comments: Will wants to get Lyra back, Susan wants to enter Narnia again. The two of them meet.
- Recommended by Completely Different
- Canon Welding with Welcome to Night Vale
- Status: Complete, with a two-shot sequel and another sequel forthcoming.
- Synopsis: Carlos and his Magisterium-approved team are on a mission to study Rusakov particles in the most theologically interesting community in Hispania Nova. They are in no way prepared for anything they're about to meet. (A partial list: angels, witches, hooded spectres, portals between worlds, and a man who walks around with no daemon in sight and knows things he shouldn't possibly be able to know.)
- Comment: While the simple premise of "What if the characters of Night Vale had daemons?" alone could have served as an interesting concept, the author goes even further, seamlessly melding the two universes and giving us an interesting possibility to how Carlos reacted to the weirdness that is Night Vale.