Proof that the remaining 10% is worth dying for
(or having one's atoms become one with the universe
These are recommendations made by Tropers
for His Dark Materials Fan Fics
, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here
Do warn when a fanfic may head into non-canon
territory. Some people just don't like it, and as we all know, Shipping
is Serious Business
You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page
though; that goes in the discussion page.
Authors and Websites
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
The Lonely Traveler
by Cory Calhoun
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.
- Recommended by Thagomizer
- Synopsis: Intended to be the first of a trilogy, would follow Lyra, Will, and their children in their respective universes, and a new character as they work to establish the Republic of Heaven.
- Comments: Easily the best fanfiction in a series sorely lacking in it, this is one of the best fanfics I've ever read. Sadly, it was guillotined by the author before it really began to take flight, but what is there is still an incredible read.
by Welcome to Maddieland
like gold to ayery thinnesse beate
- Recommended by Aver
- Pairing(s): Lyra/Will
- Synopsis: What if Lyra had picked the option to go to Wills world instead of staying in her own? Takes place after The Amber Spyglass.
- Comments: It's only a short fic, but it's certainly worth a read. From the beginning, you know that it isn't going to end well, but you keep on reading and hoping that maybe she survives after all. It's angst you see coming and yet it's a surprise when it happens. If the writer can do that, then it proves he's very good. Certainly worth a read.
- Recommended by Vifetoile
- Pairing(s): Lyra/Will
- Synopsis: A door missed - or left apurpose - can be found even when you aren't looking for it. Takes place after The Amber Spyglass.
- Comments: Yes, it's one of a million stories reuniting Will and Lyra again — but this one actually pulls it off incredibly well. Aside from a few logistical issues, the story really feels like a part of the original books, on every level — including a strong narrative voice, believably mature Will and Lyra, and strong characterization overall.
The Ivory Horn
Existence Is The Most Exciting Thing Of All
- Recommended by Selina Catz
- Fandoms: Narnia, His Dark Materials
- Pairings: Will/Lyra
- Synopsis: If there's a way back out of this world, Will is determined to find it. At any cost.
- Comments: Will wants to get Lyra back, Susan wants to enter Narnia again. The two of them meet.
by Sailor Ptah
- Recommended by Completely Different
- Canon Welding with Welcome to Night Vale
- Status: Complete, with a two-shot sequel and another sequel forthcoming.
- Synopsis: Carlos and his Magisterium-approved team are on a mission to study Rusakov particles in the most theologically interesting community in Hispania Nova. They are in no way prepared for anything they're about to meet. (A partial list: angels, witches, hooded spectres, portals between worlds, and a man who walks around with no daemon in sight and knows things he shouldn't possibly be able to know.)
- Comment: While the simple premise of "What if the characters of Night Vale had daemons?" alone could have served as an interesting concept, the author goes even further, seamlessly melding the two universes and giving us an interesting possibility to how Carlos reacted to the weirdness that is Night Vale.