Proof that the remaining 10% is worth joining Cobra for
These are recommendations made by Tropers
for G.I. Joe Fan Fics
, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here
You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page
though; that goes in the discussion page.
Authors and Websites
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
- Recommended by: Komodo Classic
- Notes: Writes mainly oneshots about random incidents and daily life for the Joes. She's a multi-fandom author, so finding the GI Joe fics takes a little patience.
''The Little Medic That Could''
- Recommended by Zee Shadow
- Synopsis: A revisioned history of Storm Shadow's fall into Cobra and return to GI Joe.
- Comments: Follows the events of the comic closely, but holds its own in terms of story. The brainwashing parts were particularly well done, as well as the relationship between Tommy and Billy. Has a sequel, as well as some interlude stories by the author.
''Corazones y Cazadores''
- Recommended by Antigone3
- Synopsis: A look back at how Lifeline joined the Joe team.
- Comments: How did an Actual Pacifist like Lifeline ever end up in G.I. Joe? And how does the Joe team deal with a teammate who refuses to even carry a gun? This fic looks back to when Lifeline first joined to answer those questions. Of course there's action (it's a G.I. Joe fic, what did you expect?), but the primary focus and the reason I'm recommending it is the character development.
by Totenkinder Madchen
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.
- Recommended by Antigone3
- Synopsis: This is a Cross Over fic — G.I. Joe meets Alien vs. Predator. When Cobra takes an interest in a pre-Inca temple in the Andes, the Joes want to know why. But no one knows just who built the temple, or why, or who's still inside ....
- Comments: The fic is still in progress; as of this entry the Joes have had a couple run-ins with Aliens, and Snake-Eyes just fought an honor duel with a Predator, but the Joes still think this whole mess is a particularly insane genetics experiment by Cobra Commander. I'm posting it now rather than waiting for completion because the author is doing a great job writing the claustrophobic horror of being trapped underground with a foe that you can't quite kill. While the author ships Scarlett/Snake-Eyes, it's very much background here. There's one neck massage in Chapter One, but once the plot gets under way both of them are sticking to business.
- Astrakhan: Having read the completed fic, I can honestly say that the story is brilliant. All of the character voices ring true, both franchises were well-researched, and the author even gave Storm Shadow a compelling weakness—something he lacks in canon. It does get pretty bloody towards the end, but the author warns for it. There's also some very funny parts, such as Snake-Eyes screwing with Buzzer during an interrogation and Road Pig and Demolisher's reactions to birthing the Chestbursters.
Stories that crossover with other pieces of fiction.
Day of the Broken Fang
- Recommended by TheMisterFree
- Synopsis: An attack by Cobra on the Decepticons sets off a chain of events that leads to the terrorist group's destruction. Prequel to The Elements of Harmony and the Savior of Worlds (an MLP:FIM fanfic that features Megan of MLP G1 finding that the original MLP world has turned into G4 Equestria; background elements of it go into Mega Crossover territory, featuring other characters from the 80's Hasbro/Marvel/Sunbow shows, called the Hasbroverse).
- Comments: This fic, according to the author, explains why Cobra is no longer a threat. Cobra Commander, back in the 80s, had realized what happened when Cobra gets in the way of Cybertronians; unfortunately, Serpentor did not learn that lesson, and, in 1994, launched an attack on the Decepticon's Mid-Atlantic HQ; this fic details what follows. It's pretty good.