Fanfic Recs: Final Fantasy IX
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth dying for here: These are recommendations made by Tropers for Fan Fics, all of which have been signed. After a few samples, you will be able to judge whether you might be interested in the 'fic, based on who recommended it. No-name recommendations will be zapped. Nobody would back up the rec. Discussion of the recommendation is welcome on the discussion page. As such discussion is important, do remember to add the discussion page to the watchlist, if need be. Do warn when a fanfic may head into sexually explicit or non-canon territory. Some people just don't like it, and as we all know, Shipping is Serious Business.
Authors, and WebsitesNone as of yet. Origins by LeFox.
- Recommended by ChaoticBrain
- Genre: Suspense/Adventure
- Synopsis: On ancient Terra, a plot is hatched to create an immortal golem, Garland, by sacrificing Terra's prince. A young boy named Kuja finds himself caught up in the chaos, fleeing for his life alongside the prince... but how long can they survive?
- Comments: This is a fantastic story. It takes place on Terra 5000 years before the start of the game, and the world serves to flesh out some of the underdeveloped plot points of the game, most notably Taharka, the monster-bug thing you fight in Ipsen's Castle. Not only that, but it's an immensely gripping read in its own right. It's pretty dark and violent, yes, but maintains a level of emotional maturity throughout. Politics, doomsday cults, and themes of betrayal make this a story you simply won't want to put down. (It's not complete yet, though.)
- Recommended by ChaoticBrain
- Genre: Humor/Parody
- Synopsis: Zidane and the gang have an unusual encounter in the woods with a monster that just wants to get high.
- Comments: Ever wondered what the deal was with those Friendly Monsters? Well, here's one author's take on it.
- Recommended by MasterShaper
- Genre: General
- Synopsis: 200 years after the Mist War, Luthane Crescent goes on a pilgrimage to seek out his heritage. All he's found is a Genome with a wild streak and a big secret...
- Comments: A very well-written story that takes the reader to the world of FFIX several centuries after the game's ending. Can't really say much more here without spoiling parts of the story, but it definitely has some thought-provoking themes, TearJerkers, and comedic moments. Oh, and you might want to keep children from reading it - there's a scene or several that might not be suitable for anyone that isn't at least a teen (due to site requirements, I'll note here that it involves some risque yaoi).
- Recommended by Dark-heika
- Status: Ongoing
- Synopsis: A magical accident of fantastical proportions sends Zidane Tribal on an unexpected adventure in a world so different from his own. In order to get home he will once again be dragged into something so much greater than himself, meeting both friends and foes in the process. Will he survive to the end of the school year?
- Comments: There wasn't a crossover section for this page yet and it's my first time recommending something, so this troper put it here. This fic is a crossover with Harry Potter, and the only good one at that. The author updates once a week, and the story is both funny and interesting with ten chapters posted at the time of this rec. Needless to say, I highly recommend it.
- Recommended by arthurdent
- Pairings: Freya/Fratley
- Synopsis: Freya and Fratley embark on a quest together, her seeking peace of mind, and him remembering the love that he has forgotten.
- Comments: Set three years following the events of the game, but before the ending cinematic. Slightly AU because the author misremembered certain plot points from the game; as a result, Cleyra is merely damaged instead of being completely destroyed by Odin, and the mystic gem enchanting the Wind Harp is never recovered. Freya and Fratley go on a journey to find a suitable replacement, and in the process, become re-acquainted with each other. Duty and Honor provides the framing for the tale, while Courage and Strength, which is significantly longer, covers the quest itself. Occasional hints of Purple Prose, but still very well-written, with an ending that's a guaranteed Tear Jerker. Gore warning for Courage and Strength, which includes some pretty graphic descriptions of monsters dying.
- Recommended by Comartemis, seconded by Arc Varanus
- Pairings: Zidane/Garnet
- Synopsis: A princess, a thief, and a look into the building of a tumultuous relationship.
- Comments: A Slice of Life Adaptation Expansion that focuses on Zidane and Garnet's relationship, set against the backdrop of the canon storyline. Doesn't really have much of a plot, but it does have 300% of your daily recommended fluff intake (where appropriate; some of the chapters take place during Garnet's Heroic BSOD, and those are a bit more angsty). Also gets big points for nailing Zidane's Lovable Rogue / Handsome Lech personality; the back-and-forth banter between him and Garnet is probably the most entertaining part of this story.
Zidane: Oh really? Hehehe. Hardly surprising. All the girls talk about Zidane.Garnet: Oh really? Must be about your ability to get them stuck in ice caves for hours on endůZidane: Or my dashing good looks.Garnet: Or your childish sense of humor.Zidane: Or my suave charm.Garnet: Or your lack of manners.Zidane: Or my very large -Garnet: Alright, stop there.
- Seconding the rec. It's a very heartwarming portrayal of how the two grow closer to each other throughout their journey, but it's the attentiveness the author devotes to all the characterization that really made the fic shine for me. Things like Steiner knocking Zidane down with a punch after a not-so-hilarious misunderstanding seem so fitting that you wonder why it wasn't in the game in the first place. Definitely worth your time, and what's more, it's complete, with a sequel in-progress that's shaping up beautifully.
- Recommended by Kerrah
- Pairings: Zidane/Freya
- Synopsis: Zidane, Freya, and how to learn nothing the hard way.
- Comments: Yes, I did not make that up: it's Zidane/Freya. However, the fic doesn't focus on the "lol hot furry pron" aspect, but instead builds a pseudo-romantic relationship between the two characters in a bunch of scenes taking place among the events of the game. The sex scene in the last chapter, despite being well done, isn't that long or in-your-face. While the fic doesn't exactly follow the canon, it's definitely not Canon Defilement either. Also, it's damn funny and sometimes dramatic too.
- Recommended by lunarkweh, seconded by eanh
- Pairings: Eiko/Vivi
- Synopsis: "Thirteen years after the events of Final Fantasy IX, and Eiko Carol's life is turned upside-down once again by an enemy supposedly long dead. What's a girl to do?"
- Comments: Amazing style, compelling plot, and a new spin on old characters—what's not to like? Black Tango's dialogue and characterization are of particular note. Hot damn. Has its own page of tropes these days.
eanh: I cried. Damn it. It's beautiful, for all the wrong reasons.
- Recommended by Arc Varanus
- Pairings: Zidane/Garnet
- Synopsis: Garnet's thoughts on Zidane's tail.
- Comments: A humorous and fluffy scenario (with a hint of lime) that takes place at some point during the journey. Garnet becomes fascinated by Zidane's tail and... well, as the first chapter says, ''curiosity killed the cat...'' To say any more about this great little three-shot would be telling...