Proof that the remaining 10% is worth dying for
These are recommendations made by Tropers
for Fan Fics
, all of which have been signed. After a few samples, you will be able to judge whether you might be interested in the 'fic, based on who recommended it. No-name recommendations will be zapped.
Nobody would back up the rec. Discussion of the recommendation is welcome on the discussion page. As such discussion is important, do remember to add the discussion page to the watchlist, if need be.
Do warn when a fanfic may head into sexually explicit or non-canon
territory. Some people just don't like it, and as we all know, Shipping
is Serious Business
Authors and Websites
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
- Recommended by Mysterynovelist2010
- Description: Ignoring the events of The World R:2, .hack//UBIQUITY focuses on a Wavemaster named Navel who is wrongly accused of PKing a few player who slipped into a temporary coma when in actuality, said player had been eliminated by an illegal monster. Things become suspicious as two players of The World scheme to find a way to enter The World as Harold once did and need Navel's best friend Lawk to serve as an 'experiment' and soon Navel finds himself thrust into a twisted conspiracy that is bent on altering The World forever.
- Comments: This intriguing and rather exciting fanfiction Needs More Love. It is an excellent twist on the .hack// series, and the relationship between Navel and Lawk is touching as well and despite the fact that its action scenes need some work, it serves as an impressive sequel. Note that there are implications of Ho Yay, but very subtle ones.
by by R. Seldon
- Recommended by Ghingahn
- Description: AU. A sullen, depressive mage; an awkward young swordswoman-in-training; a trouble-loving demon boy: Not the finest of heroes, perhaps... but if the stakes are high enough, they'll learn. Or not.
- Comments: An AU centered around Tsukasa, Mimiru, and Sora in a universe where The World is the only reality. The viewpoints change rapidly and the characters narrating start off with only the barest relations to each other, but they seamlessly begin to come together as the plot moves on. Each of the characters acts like their canon selves despite the different backstories, even Sora, who's generally a difficult character to work with in any sort of AU because of how different his real and game selves are. It hasn't updated in six years, though, but the chapters that are up are definitely still worth a look.
, by AlfheimWanderer
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.
.hack//Gathering of the Unwilling
- Recommended by Comartemis, Rivenscryr
- Status: Complete
- Synopsis: CC Corporation is promoting their newest game by sending out thousands of free laptops preloaded with The World: R2, and Shinji Ikari has just received his copy. Seeking to flee from his issues in the real world, Shinji jacks in as the Adept Rogue Skari. But this is .hack// we're talking about, and as Shinji is about to discover, the line between fantasy and reality isn't so clear-cut as one might like to imagine...
- Comments: No, you read that right. It's a bonafide .hack/Evangelion crossover, and though this troper hasn't finished reading yet, he's already impressed enough to deem it worthy of this list. AlfheimWanderer has done a magnificent job of taking the best of the philosophical themes found throughout the .hack series and spelling them out in plain and simple terms, so even those who've played all the .hack games, seen the anime, and read the novels will probably find something new to think about here. The story as of chapter 11 seems to bear a closer resemblance to .hack//SIGN than any of the games; there isn't a whole lot of overt conflict against a concrete enemy (yet), but there is a lot of character development and exploration of the themes found in the .hack series; fans of the original quartet will be pleased to know that What Measure Is a Non-Human? is back in full force courtesy of Morganna and Lycoris being resurrected in Tokyo-3 via reality-warping backlash from a failed Third Impact.
- StevetheCornMuffin: This, quite frankly, is definitely one of the best kept secrets on FF.net. The author effortlessly meshes both series together, utilizes the characteristic psychological analysis/deconstruction of .hack and Evangelion to great ability, has some well written action scenes, and great characterization. All the while respecting and staying true to both .hack and EVA and doing something completely new. The fic contains some interesting reimagining of canon EVA events and characters, so those are also a real treat to see in action. Please keep in mind, there are A LOT of references to .hack characters and events, so those unfamilar with .hack might have a hard time (but not too much) following. However, it is because of all these references to past .hack projects that make the fic such a treat for hardcore fans. The fic is also gracious with the Gurren Lagann and Fate/Stay Night references, so it gets bonus points for that. Definitely worth taking a look at. * WARNING* : .hack addiction may ensue due to exposure due to this fic. You have been warned...
- Shinji117: Well, the writting is ok, but Asuka's characteri-no, Flanderisation makes it a bit difficult to read, at least early on.
.hack//G.U.: The Staircase to Nowhere
- Recommended by: Red Viking
- Pairing(s): Atoli/Haseo/Shino/Alkaid, Kite/Black Rose, Kuhn/Mai
- Description: After the battle with Cubia in .hack//GU, they thought it was over. But Morganna soon returns and seeks reclaim the power of the Epitaph Users, which she sees as her own. As she grows in power, the Epitaph Users find themselves allying with the former dot hackers in order to defeat her.
- Comments: This story draws upon the All There in the Manual nature of the series and runs with it. It has Loads and Loads of Characters and, just like the regular series, it's easy to get lost if you're unfamiliar with certain aspects or characters. It also get's just a little cliche near the end. That said, it's very well put together both in story and in format and is, overall, a worthwhile read with a sequel on its way. The emails at the end of each chapter range from flavor info to plot points and downright hilarity.
- Has its own Trope Page
- Recommneded by: Mysterynovelist2010
- Pairings(s): Atoli/Haseo and hints of Shino/Haseo in earlier chapters
- Description: Ryou Misaki is an ordinary teenager just trying to get through life. But after finding a mirror with mysterious powers, a strange girl named Atoli appears out of seemingly nowhere. Will Ryou ever be able to master his power? AU
- Comments: Amazing Alternate Universe fanfiction that casts the Epitaph Users as gods/goddesses of individual worlds who are at war with each other in order to become the successor for Morganna. Includes Badass fighting scenes, intrigue and suspense, the cool Transformation Sequences, and really gets into the heads of the characters.
- Recommneded by: Eriyu
- Pairings(s): Haseo/Endrance
- Description: "Events surrounding the Sage Palace tournament, and how they lead Haseo to view Endrance in a different, warmer light." Continues past Sage Palace too, actually.
- Comments: Haseo and Endrance are amazingly in-character, and Endrance's feelings are seriously touching. I've always loved this pairing, but this is the fic that actually made it seem plausible to me, as a real relationship. There's also an in-progress sequel, Veritas.