"Nothing stays the same. Nothing ever stays the same. This is one lesson the Littlest Pet Shop pets were never prepared for." The Times They Are A-Changin'
—The story's Tagline
is a Littlest Pet Shop (2012)
fanfic by HoldTheTruthForever. It's named after the famous Bob Dylan song
, whose lyrics are interspersed with the story; the intro advises that "To make it more dramatic, pretend everything is going in slow-mo
like in the opening to Watchmen
In case that didn't tip you off, this is a Dark Fic
. The story imagines what the future might be like for Blythe Baxter and her animal friends, and its vision is pretty depressing
. It all starts when Penny Ling's owners move away from Downtown City, forcing her to leave the group. From there, things go From Bad to Worse
. Sunil gives up being a magician after an embarrassing Epic Fail
. The pets become lazy and apathetic—when they're not fighting, that is. And Blythe is no help; she gradually drifts away from the pets as she matures, getting a new job and a boyfriend in the process. The End
. (This is a very
- Absentee Actor: Blythe's human friends Youngmee, Jasper and Sue aren't mentioned.
- Bittersweet Ending/Downer Ending: The pets lose Penny and Blythe, but they still have each other—at least for now.
- Breaking the Fellowship: By the end, both Penny and Blythe are gone. When the remaining pets are still together, Nothing Is the Same Anymore.
- Break the Cutie: Happens to all the pets.
- Burger Fool: Blythe leaves LPS to work at someplace called "Burger Slot".
- Demoted to Extra: Mrs. Twombly appears very briefly, while Roger is only mentioned.
- Eye Scream: Happens to Pepper when Zoe swipes her across the face during a fight.
- Furry Reminder: The story mentions Pepper's scent glands, Zoe's "refined nails", and Russell's "five-year hedgehog lifespan".
- Growing Up Sucks: Not for Blythe, but for the pets affected by her absence.
- Hurt/Comfort Fic: How the story is classified at Fanfiction.net, though there's a lot more hurt than comfort here.
- Jerkass: Pepper laughs at Sunil's failed magic trick "in a rather callous, bitter manner", which is one of the reasons why he gives up magic afterwards.
- Living Emotional Crutch: Played With. Everything goes south after Penny leaves. This leaves the reader to wonder: Was Penny the character who kept everyone together, or would the result have been the same if one of the other pets had gone?
- My God, What Have I Done?: Zoe is "horrified and ashamed of herself" after she injures Pepper.
- Reality Ensues: The entire premise.
- Rouge Angles of Satin:
- Script Fic: A variation; the story's narration simply describes the events in Beige Prose, and there is no dialogue.
- Smelly Skunk: Subverted. "Pepper just hasn't been the same since her scent glands were surgically removed".
- Time Skip: The story takes place over the course of a year.