"The Cutie Mark Crusaders know that Babs Seed was bullied back in Manehatten, but how bad could things really have been? And how does Babs feel about returning to the city and the ponies who have hurt her the most?"
The Tangled Roots Trilogy is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
fanfic series written by Bad_Seed_72, composed of the books: Tangled Roots
, Sweet Apple Anthology
and Severed Roots
The trilogy is completed as of April 9th, 2014.
- Adults Are Useless: Especially at Babs's school. They can't teach her anything or protect her from bullies. Her mother Libra Scales initially fits into this.
- Archnemesis Dad: Bernie Madhoof, 'nough said.
- The Big Rotten Apple: Manehatten, after Madhoof more or less took over, is depicted as a city ruled by gangs and corrupt cops. It had some shades of it before he took over too.
- Childhood Friend Romance: Between Babs Seed and Apple Bloom.
- Happily Adopted: Babs by the Apple Family.
- Happily Married: By the end of Severed Roots, Babs Seed to Applebloom.
- Happy Marriage Charade: Libra Scales and Bernie Madhoof. It ain't pretty between the two when they both get angry...
- Kissing Cousins: Babs and Applebloom by the end of Tangled Roots, and Citrus and Braeburn in Severed Roots.
- Parental Neglect: Babs mainly undergoes this.
- Long-Lost Relative: Turner is Bab's father... and Bernie Madhoof's brother.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Turner is Babs' father.
- Pater Familicide: Bernie Madhoof tries to hire a goon to do this to Libra Scales, leading her to flee with Citrus.
- Schoolyard Bully All Grown Up: Card Slinger claws his way up to become head of the Manehattan King's, Bernie Madhoof's sponsored goons.
- The Bully: Technically bullies... Card Slinger and his goons.
- The Western: Mostly everything that happens outside of Ponyville and Manehatten has a western atmosphere.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Oranges become Madhoof's favorite fruit after he learns that if he keeps drinking booze, he'll die.