is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
fanfic by Tystarr
, also known for A Voice Among The Strangers
Viktoria had never seen the mirror before, now she wishes she had never examined it. With her body twisted into a strange and unsettling new shape she must become accustomed to her new equine form before finding a way home, and along the way also return her body to normal. Her body betrays her with each movement, muscle memory working against her. Even with the new addition of wings to grant her flight and escape, Viktoria has never felt more confined. Will the newly encountered Flitter and Cloudchaser be able to help her?
Solitary Pinion contains examples of:
- Abuse Mistake: Dr. Remedial Oath interprets Viktoria's apparent injuries and psychological trauma as the result of long-term abuse. They're actually the result of the transformation and Viktoria's struggle to adjust to her new body.
- Aliens Speaking German: In contrast to A Voice Among The Strangers.
- Baleful Polymorph
- Continuity Nod: The narration mentions the events of "Wonderbolts Academy", noting that Flitter and Cloudchaser came to see Rainbow Dash in a new light after she stood up to Lightning Dust.
- Damn You, Muscle Memory: A rare non-video game example, that's Played for Drama no less. Once turned into a pegasus, Viktoria can barely get her legs to move right, and her wings flop all over the place because she's not used to having them. She can't even speak at first just because her mouth is a different shape.
- Digging Yourself Deeper: Subverted and played straight with Thunderlane:
Thunderlane: Whoa, who is that pegasus cutie over there?”
Flitter: That ‘cutie’ is the filly most likely mentioned in the letter. And… for Celestia’s sake Thunder, she doesn’t even have a cutie mark yet!
Thunderlane: Hey! Whoa! Calm down just a second girls! First off, just because I say she is cute doesn’t mean I want to do anything. When did it come to a point when a stallion says anything nice, or… Celestia forbid… compliments a girl that it is automatically assumed he wants to date her or something? Really, this is just an example of how stallions are treated like third class citizens sometimes. If a mare compliments a stallion it’s considered acceptable, but if a stallion does the same he gets accused of hitting on her!
Cloudchaser: I… I guess that is kind of true.
: Exactly! So in the interest of equal rights, I should be able to call that filly cute and gaze at her all I want. (beat
) Hmm… pushed my luck with that last bit a little?
Dr. Remedial: I would say, most likely.
Thunderlane: Would it help if I said you were both cute too?
- Dramatic Irony: From the clues he observed, the doctor believes that Viktoria crossed the Despair Event Horizon and jumped into the lake. By that point, we the audience know that she fell in because she refused to let despair get to her, standing up to do something about it... only to lose her balance and tumble into the water.
- Driven to Suicide: Doctor Remedial believes that Viktoria may have purposely jumped into the lake, after what he believes to have been a lifetime of abuse.
- Metaphorically True: The ponies believe that Flitter and Cloudchaser might have been the first ponies to ever show Viktoria kindness - which is true because they also were the first ponies that she ever met.
- Oh Crap: When Cloudchaser realises her mistake in giving Viktoria a bowl of hot tomato soup.
- Papa Wolf: The reaction of Doctor Remedial when he (incorrectly) deduces that his patient has been through horrific abuse.
- Mama Bear: Cloudchaser's reaction when she hears his theory.
- Spiritual Successor: To A Voice Among The Strangers.