On A Whisper Of Wind
is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
fanfiction by Connor Clogwork and the sequel to On a Cross and Arrow
Twilight and company finally managed to make it home with the help of their male counterparts, and all seems normal…that is until Applebuck, looking for his 'Cousin JayJay' arrives in Ponyville. Now the horseshoe is on the other foot as the young colt tries to find his 'cousin' without causing too much attention…which is made rather complicated when a trio of fillies finds him first.
This fanfic contains examples of:
- Call Back: One of the first ponies Applebuck meets face to face are Lyra and Bon Bon, just like the mane cast met their male counterparts, Harpsy and Babar.
- Continuity Nod: Applebuck makes it to the Mane 6's universe. How? With the help of someone known as "The Great and Powerful...Presto."
- The real Trixie shows up in Chapter 2.
- Deer in the Headlights: Applebuck's reaction to encountering his female counterpart.
- Did Not Think This Through: Applebuck admits after meeting the CMC that he probably could've thought his plan through better.
- Go Seduce My Arch Nemesis: In Chapter 3, the girls have Applebuck flirt with Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon so they could swipe some doughnuts from them. Predictably, Applebuck finds this rather disturbing to have the female versions of his personal tormentors flirting with him, but makes it through. Silver Spoon actually develops a crush on him.
- Apple Buck himself feels a bit attached to Siver Spoon, which freaks him out saying she's the female version of his bully.
- Large Ham: Trixie, as ever. Even in her own internal monologue.
- Not So Different: Apple Bloom realises that Applebuck was at least as scared of her from the moment he met her and recognised her as she is of him now.
- Oh Crap: Applebuck when he realizes that the first ponies he meets are the Cutie Mark Crusaders, including Apple Bloom.
- Also when he encounters Pinkie and realizes she remembers him.
- Post-Kiss Catatonia: Applebuck's reaction to Sweetie Belle kissing him on the cheek. Part of it is the normal reason for this trope, the other is she's the female version of his best friend which freaks him out a little bit.
- Ret Gone: The author has stated that if the story is to continue, it will strictly rely on only the canon of Season 1. This means that several important characters introduced in Season 2 and beyond will have never existed. Among those included are Twilight's brother, Shining Armor.
- Rule 63: An inversion of the original story, in that it's Applebuck who finds himself in the inverted world.
- Ship Tease:Three with Apple Buck, first Apple Buck finds Pinkie Pie kind of cute, second of with Silver Spoon, third of all when Sweetie Bell kissed him on the check.
- Shout-Out: A magician named Presto? Seems familiar...
- Speak In Unison: Apple Bloom and Applebuck have a habit of doing this, which makes sense, giving they're alternate versions of the same pony.
- Wide Eyes and Shrunken Irises: Apple Bloom's reaction to it being revealed to her that Applebuck is her alternate reality self.
- Worth It: Apple Bloom's response to the CMC realizing they'll probably get hurt for what they pulled on Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon.