Fanfic: Can't Be Saved
"I can't see anything. I can't smell anything. I can't feel anything. And all I hear... Is beauty. They don't understand it, though."Can't Be Saved is a Dark Fic based on My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, written by Jimmy Lethal.The story revolves around Vinyl Scratch, who has come across a song she can't stop listening to. Her obsession begins to go to the point where she begins to lose all four of her senses to power her sense of hearing, ending up leaving her a blind, immobile shell. As it turns out, though, it was All Just a Dream.You can read the story here. Has a sequel called Dimmed Spotlight which can be read here.
- All Just a Dream: When Vinyl is about to go deaf, she wakes up.
- An Aesop: Obsession isn't a good thing.
- Beige Prose: Averts this, despite its short length.
- Bound and Gagged: Bound, anyway; the story's cover art has Vinyl in a straitjacket.
- Brown Note: Oh, hell yes. The story revolves entirely around one.
- Darker and Edgier: No shit, Sherlock.
- Determinator: Vinyl still tries to go through life as normal despite her senses slipping away from her.
- Downer Ending: Subverted. The story was All Just a Dream.
- Ear Worm: The song, to Vinyl In-Universe.
- Face-Heel Turn: Through Vinyl's eyes, her coltfriend Ace pulls one when he calls the "experts" on her.
- My God, What Have I Done?: When Vinyl's music player breaks and she begins to go deaf, she has one of these moments.
- Oh Crap!: Vinyl, when her music player breaks.
- Sort of a meta example in that it's a real song.
- Only Sane Stallion: Ace becomes this.
- Original Character: Ace Spade.
- Sanity Slippage: As the story progresses, Vinyl becomes increasingly more unhinged.
- Serial Escalation: At first, "Can't Be Saved" is just a song Vinyl likes. Then it becomes a problem.
- Title Drop: "We should leave her here. She can't be saved."
- Twist Ending: It was All Just a Dream, after all.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Vinyl, even though it's never explicitly stated.