Fan Fic: The Persistence Of Loss
The Persistence of Loss is a Cross Over
fanfic by TrippyToasterAndABagOfChips
, between the Golden Sun
and Kingdom Hearts
video games, specifically taking place after TLA
and near the end of Days.
It is complete, with a total of 35 chapters.
After returning from her time away with Riku, Xion is having second thoughts about her plan to be reabsorbed into Sora's memories. Deciding not to follow the plan after all
, she flees Organization XIII once again, this time running to an outer world where she believes nobody will find her: Weyard.
At the chasm where Mt. Aleph once stood, she runs into a very bitter and angry Felix, who has become obsessed with the idea of killing Alex for causing all the misfortune in his life
. After a few misadventures, they agree to stick together and help each other, while keeping their individual secrets to themselves.
While the fic follows the two games' canon at first like a typical crossover, it eventually diverges into an AU fic with a few character deaths
that make the canon sequels more or less impossible.
It can be found here
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Xion, especially after the Mercury Lighthouse arc.
- Anti-Hero: Felix, even more so than his canon self.
- Anyone Can Die
- Author Appeal: The fight scenes can get awfully descriptive at times...
- Ax-Crazy: Luxord during his possession.
- Back from the Dead: Mia, but it doesn't last very long.
- Badass: The Adepts and Nobodies are, by default, much stronger than ordinary people.
- Berserk Button: For Felix, it would be threatening Xion or Jenna. For Xion, it's Axel and Roxas.
- Big Bad: Alex for most of the story. Lunos during the climax.
- Bigger Bad: Xemnas. While he's still the leader of Organization XIII, he doesn't really do much in the fic, and disappears with Xigbar near the end.
- Big Damn Heroes: Happens a lot.
- Body Horror: What happens to Luxord when he is possessed by Lunos.
- Also, Alex's regeneration powers.
- Break the Cutie: Xion undergoes a number of awful situations that gradually eat away at her naivete, the peak of which being when she has to kill Riku at Venus Lighthouse.
- Character Development: As the story progresses, Felix grows less bitter and cynical, and Xion gradually comes to grips with her artificial nature.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Several, most notably Felix's first encounter with Alex.
- Damsel in Distress: Xion, a few times. Somewhat justified, as she loses her keyblade and magic when she goes to Weyard, and has to learn new skills before being competent in battle again.
- Darker and Edgier: Much more so than the games it is based on.
- Determinator: Several characters, but most especially Riku.
- Diabolus ex Machina: Just about anything Lunos does. As one reviewer put it, he's like a deus ex machina, except he creates problems rather than solving them.
- The Dragon: Saix to Xemnas, and Blados to Iodem.
- Eldritch Abomination: Lunos' true form.
- Five-Man Band: The group in later chapters:
- From Bad to Worse: A common twist in climatic fights.
- A God Am I: Alex. It's implied that is was all an act, as in the final chapter he seems perfectly ration and humble about his power.
- Heel-Face Turn: Axel. Demyx as well, to a degree.
- Heroic BSOD: Felix has one after Mia is killed.
- Killed Off for Real: Luxord, Mia (twice), Jenna's baby, Iodem, Babi, Demyx, Riku, Roxas, The Wise One, Xaldin, Xion, and finally Lunos himself. Mia and Xion get better, however, and it's implied that Riku also survived.
- Love Triangle: Between Felix, Mia, and Garet. Another one may be forming between Felix, Xion, and Roxas (or possibly Axel).
- MacGuffin: The Essences Xion is collecting.
- Meaningful Name: Lunos. He's the ruler of the Anemos, who turned their city into the moon.
- Mind Screw: Everything involving Jasmine, Jenna's doppelganger.
- Mood Whiplash
- One-Winged Angel: Luxord, when Lunos takes over his body.
- Plot-Relevant Age-Up: Xion has one after she kills Riku, due to drawing five years of experience from some source of energy. The side effect being that she also aged five years.
- Retgone: When Alex kills Jenna's baby, it is somehow wiped from existence and nobody seems to remember it. Except Xion, who then starts having nightmares of a similar event happening to her...
- Rule of Cool: The fight scenes practically run on it.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Alex becomes this, after he is chopped into little pieces and locked away to prevent the pieces from reforming.
- Sliding Scale of Idealism Versus Cynicism: Felix is on the far end of the Cynical side, and Xion is on the Idealist side.
- Status Quo Is God: Averted. The author makes zero effort to make the fic compatible with the chronological sequels.
- In Spite of a Nail, however, the story ends in a way that makes the sequels still plausible, at least on the Golden Sun end. Alex overhears a conversation between Blados and Chalis, implying that the Tuaparang are still going to happen, though he doesn't seem interested in joining them. Sora survives, and is going to go look for Riku, who may still be alive. And Xemnas and Ansem are still out there, as well.
- Story Arc: The fic is divided into five-or-so chapter arcs, defined by where the characters currently are. In order: Loho, Imil/Mercury Lighthouse, Kalay, Tolbi/Venus Lighthouse, and Contigo/Jupiter Lighthouse/and the finale.
- Theme Naming: All of the chapter names, as well as the name of the fic itself, are taken from Nine Inch Nails songs.
- Took a Level in Badass: Xion, during her fights with Blados, and later Riku. In the latter, she actually gains five years of combat experience in a single second, which allows her to use a Psynergy far beyond her skill level.
- True Companions: The Warriors of Vale, carrying over from Golden Sun.
- X Meets Y: Golden Sun meets Kingdom Hearts.
- Your Head Asplode: How Luxord dies.