Fan Fic / The Broken Diamond
The Broken Diamond
Order and Chaos. Liberty and Control. The use of Power.
The man trying to perfect himself as an example to others, finding enlightenment in serving others.
The one-eyed man in the labyrinth of the blind, breaking rules and committing sins in his search for something precious.
The woman finding herself by destroying herself, ripping lives apart in a search for something real.The Broken Diamond
follows the Crucible, a Cabal of Mages
, as they navigate the politics of Washington, DC - the eponymous Broken Diamond - look for the line between their normal lives and the Supernal power that have placed them above Muggles
and try to find out what it is they want to do with their unlimited power
. What starts as a simple, almost makework task to discover who is painting graffiti of Atlantean glyphs, however, quickly becomes something with wide-ranging consequences for the whole city, if not the rest of the Fallen World.The Broken Diamond
, along with The Soul Cage
, is an absolute must-read to anyone interested in Mage: The Awakening
, the New World of Darkness
or Tabletop Games
in general.The character sheet may be found here.Links to compilation of the whole Actual Play.
As per Handling Spoilers
, trope listings are not to be hidden; read on at your own risk!
This Let's Play provides examples of:
- Amplifier Artifact
- Ancient Artifact
- The Archmage: Samuel becomes one partway through the Chronicle. Another one is responsible for the Ananke that interferes in Kali's life. Then there's Shiva, who even fragmented into an Ochema still has Archmastery of Mind and Space.
- Awesome Moment of Crowning
- Big Brother Is Watching
- Brown Note
- The Climax: complete with a Shout-Out to Max Payne.
- Clingy MacGuffin: the Regalia
- Containment Field
- Cosmic Retcon
- Critical Psychoanalysis Failure
- The Dark Side
- Dead Person Conversation
- Did You Just Flip Off Cthulhu?
- Enemy Civil War: The House of Stone and House of Steel turn out to be opposing Ministries of Seers. Then there's Shiva, who mows down Seers in his way as nonchalantly as he does Pentacle Mages.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Shiva's motivation for intervening ultimately turns out to be freeing his wife, whose soul was trapped in the Regalia of the Dethroned Queen after her hesitation cost her the chance to Ascend to Exarchdom alongside him and she died after the Fall.
- Functional Magic
- Ensemble Darkhorse: Mycroft
- Great Big Book of Everything
- I Know Your True Name
- Invisibility Cloak: The Robe
- Invisible to Normals: The Robe, again
- Journey to the Center of the Mind
- Kingmaker Scenario
- Lord British Postulate: Indirectly brought up by the Storyteller regarding Shiva's Ochema; the stats he has - Archmastery of Mind and Space along with Mastery of almost every other Arcanum - makes him a magical monster far above anything in the DC Consilium, never mind the Crucible, but having stats at all does make him theoretically defeatable. For better or worse, the Consilium doesn't end up needing to beat him in a fight.
- MacGuffin: Two different groups: the Regalia of the Dethroned Queen for the Dethroned Queen, along with the Eyes of Salt/Heart of Flies for Cxaxa Querephas
- Mind-Control Device: The Crown, along with the regular type of Profane Urim.
- Mind Rape
- Nightmare Sequence
- Physical God: Why hello there, Shiva
- Police Are Useless
- Projected Avatar: Near the end of the story, the Exarch Shiva deploys an Ochema, a fraction of his soul projected into the Fallen World.
- Secret Identity
- Seven Deadly Sins
- Seven Heavenly Virtues
- Two Pentacle Mages are named Samuel and Beckett, with the former even involved in time travel matters.
- The final part of the Chronicle involves storming an office building in the middle of a snowstorm, like in the first Max Payne.
- Time Travel
- Two Guys and a Girl
- The Worf Effect: Shiva no sells Beckett's spell, then kills him with contemptuous ease.